Grade Retention in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by krh0108, Mar 25, 2008.

1. krh0108

krh0108 New Member

Mar 25, 2008

The principal at my school told the k teachers to decide whether or not we should retain and what criteria to go by on retaining kindergarteners. I don't support retention unless in extreme cases. (The child can't even recognize colors or letters yet!) However, most teachers on my grade level say we should retain for things like not being able to write a complete sentence or read on a level three. I think this criteria is too harsh. What is your take on grade retention?

3. repete8

repete8 Companion

Mar 25, 2008

I agree with you. I have always recommended retention to parents of children who do not know most letters, sounds and numbers. They may disagree, but at least I have documentation that it has been suggested. (And its no suprise to the parents when first grade teachers test them and send them back to K.)

4. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

There are so many factors on rentention. If they know their letters and sounds I am generally comfortable sending them on. Social and Maturity are HUGE factors. It basically comes down to if they really will grow another year in kindergarten. Sometimes I send my low kids on to first grade, because if they are retained, I feel they can get more services once their in first grade. One of my grad. proffesors recently showed us a copy of the "light's retention scale". It goes through alot of diverse questions and gives you a score. It tells you if the child would be a good candiate for rentention or not. It looks at academic, social, gender, 2nd language learners, siblings etc. It's really neat and worth looking into.

5. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 25, 2008

I'm not against retention. I'm more of the opinion that it's better to retain when the child is younger than to wait until they're older.
    That being said, I think the criteria your grade level team has is too harsh.
    I am retaining one student this year because he doesn't know his letters or sounds yet. He would be miserable in first grade because he'd have no idea what's going on. I'm retaining another because she is just not ready for first grade. She started kindergarten before she was five and she is way too immature yet. She hasn't learned any of the social skills and that is starting to interfere with her academic skills. I am giving her a year to grow up so she can catch back up academically.
    I have another student though who is low and I am not retaining because he clearly won't benefit from another year in K.
    That light's scale sounds interesting. I would check into that.

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 26, 2008

I am retaining one because he just can't sit still long enough to focus on any lesson. His only interests are art, puzzles and leggos. I have several with speech issues that are receiving help.
    One of the first grade teachers thinks I should retain them because she won't be able to understand them when they read. One of them I can understand perfectly when he reads but he reverts to his normal speech when he speaks. We are only required by our state to introduce/develop the standards/expectations. There is no mastery expected by the state. Of course the 1st grade teachers would prefer that they are all reading before they get them.
    I do agree that it is better to retain in the K-1 area than wait until they are older.

7. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Grade level criteria too harsh in my opinion. You are correct in your assessment. I believe in retention for some extreme circumstances and for emotional immaturity and lack of resiliance. is easier for the low students to get basic skills in first grade and then retain that year if necessary. :2cents:

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 26, 2008

Towards the end of the year each kindergarten teacher has a meeting with the principal about any possible retentions. Our guidelines are that if a child cannot identify the letter names, sounds, numbers, then we retain. If a child can identify letter names and sounds yet has difficulty applying the skills in other ways we still promote them. However, for those kids that struggled but are promoted, we place them on an AIP so that the 1st grade teacher knows to do some interventions right away.

9. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Rookie

Apr 13, 2008

10. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 14, 2008

I have some that I'm recommending for retention.....Not knowing numbers, letters and letter sounds is the big reason.

11. nickr

nickr Rookie

Apr 14, 2008

The first of pinkpotato's links starts with:
    60% sounds a bit much to me.

12. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 14, 2008

I agree, 60% seems very high! Sounds like the standards may be to high. Things sure have changed alot since I was in K!!! with miss A and Mr. M, who munches at mignight! LOL!

13. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 14, 2008

What kind of social reasons do you retain for?

14. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Apr 14, 2008

I have a student who knows his letters & sounds and many sight words. His writing is so-so but I would pass him to 1st grade.

However, counting objects, rote counting and number identification are horrible. He is really far behind. What would you do in a situation like this?

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 14, 2008

I would say to promote him, but to somehow alert the first grade teacher that his weak area is math. If there is summer school for those students, I would recommend it to the parent. If not, tutoring could help. Is this child on the younger side? If so, sometimes kids need the summer to catch up. If kids get enough support over the summer, they should be able to keep up for the most part when 1st grade begins.

16. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Apr 14, 2008

How do you suggest to parents that retention may be the best option for their children? I have a child who is behind in math and reading skills. Do you have something from the principal or the principal with you when you do conferences of this kind?

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 14, 2008

In the third quarter area of the report card there is an area called "Promotion In Danger." We chech this off in cases when students are strugglng overall and may not be ready for 1st. We also have a conference with the parents to discuss progress. As far as meeting with the principal. Yes, we meet, and complete a form that shows all the areas that are assessed. If the students shows that he or she falls well below grade level in most areas, then we usually retain.

18. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

I think 60% was just chosen to illustrate how retention has increased since expectations have risen. I agree that it is an extreme example.

I do hope that everyone takes time to explore some of the studies. Obviously, there may be some situations where retention is best (students who come 3/4 into the school year, etc.), or situations where a team of experts comes together to decided. But, I think that given the alarming statistics (kids who are retained are at much greater risk of dropping out of high school!), and the lack of evidence that shows that kids actually do better from retention (in the long run, not just in the year or two after retention), it would be wise for us to have more critical discussions about this practice. I'm glad to see that we're doing so, here. :up:

19. liz2034

liz2034 Rookie

Apr 15, 2008

I have one child that knows all of his letters and his sounds and most of his sight words. He does pretty good in math. The problem is his writing. He still can't write his letters, including his name. I am not sure if I should retain him just because of his writing or if he should go to first where he may get more services. Any suggestions would be great!

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2008

I have one student that I am recommending for detention. He is very young, just missed the cut off date by one week. He is very immature and doesn't socialize. In addition he only recognizes three letters and no sounds. I really feel he will benefit greatly from another year of Kindergarten. I don't like to recommend retention either, but in this case it is a perfect solution. I hope the parents agree!

21. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

katrinkakat has probably the best example of what we look at for a student who should be retained, and would benefit from it.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2008

Yes, except I said "detention" instead of "retention"! Whoops!

23. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Apr 24, 2008

I'm with you. I only retain in extreme situations. We have a new teacher working with us this year and she wanted them to have a writing exit exam. She wants the k's to write complete sentences. I'm just happy of they can sound out words and write what they hear. Sometimes with K's its developmental, they may not get it this year but they will the next and catch up.