Grade point averages

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by arevelyne, Nov 13, 2010.

1. arevelyne

arevelyne Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

What do you think is an appropriate GPA for your classes?

I just finished my first marking period grades and most of my classes fall in the 85/86 range while one is 90.

While I have been teaching for a while, this is my first year at this particular school. Does it look like students are where they should be or that I am an easy grader? Where do your gpa's for the class usually fall?

3. arevelyne

arevelyne Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

PS: The one class with the average of 90 is a small class (under 10 students). The other classes have about 11 - 15 students.

4. LastPlaceJason

LastPlaceJason Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

The longer I teach, the more I realize grades are arbitrary. Keep them high enough parents don't complain and low enough your administrators don't complain. That's the sweet spot. ;-)

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2010

I think that it really depends on your students. Some years I have a higher average and other years a lower average. Its all on how much work my students put into their homework, studying for tests, etc.

6. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Nov 13, 2010

I think that's a decent average. Of course, grades differ substantially among different subjects/teachers/classes, so it's really hard to judge. If you think students are doing B-level work, then it's fine!

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 13, 2010

:lol:

I totally agree with the "grades are arbitary" part. I think our entire system of "grading" is ridiculously flawed and really proves nothing. Teachers can manipluate the process any way they want to get the grades that they want.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 13, 2010

I agree with "bandnerdtx" and "LastPlaceJason." Just make sure your grades plot into a "Bell Curve" and everyone is happy. :thumb:

9. LastPlaceJason

LastPlaceJason Rookie

Nov 14, 2010

I would venture as far to say there is little to no correlation between grades earned and the lasting impact you make on a kid.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 14, 2010

Oh, I disagree with LPJ. Grades do have a lasting impact at the HS level. I have known students who dropped out of school because they didn't think they would be able to pass a required course AGAIN. Why bother working when you start out the semester with a 30? I've known students who didn't bother to work because teachers in the past have always passed them along. I've known kids that EARNED Bs as freshmen who realized that high school was not the same as middle school and seriously bumped up their work level to keep their A average.

Responding to OP: I wonder about the grades in my classroom too. I hope with experience I will have a better handle on what is acceptable.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 15, 2010

I don't believe in an "appropriate GPA". I have classes that bust their butts as a group to nail the grades and work hard to earn them as a whole. These classes usually average 87 to 91.

I have smarter classes with a number of really bright kids who are content to get a passing grade and average low 80's because they won't do make ups unless they're getting a D or less.

I have other classes who have several who simply don't care and won't make up anything regardless of phone calls to parents or meetings with me/principals/counselors. It's hard to have an 85 average when you have a bunch of holes where grades should be in your grade book.

They get what they earn in my class and I give them LOADS of opportunity to earn a better grade through retakes of tests/quizzes that they didn't get the first time around. (Not an identical test/quiz, I make at least 3 versions of all my tests/quizzes.)