Grade One Downs Syndrome

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Doublescoop, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Help! I have the sweetest little girl with Downs Syndrome coming into my grade one classroom this year. She will be doing a part-time Kgt (Mon/Wed/Friday) and part-time grade one program (Tues/Thurs) with the intention that next year she will do full-time grade one. She has been with this group of children since pre-school and so that aspect shouldn't be a problem--in fact, they adore her; well, the entire school does! I want to do good for her though and I am not sure what kinds of things I can plan for her. In terms of math, she'll be working with an assistant on games and puzzles designed to work on rote memorization of numbers 1-10 (maybe higher?!) but we'll incorporate her as much as possible in class instruction if it is suitable (just make adapations and modify goals). But language arts is tricky--we have direct instruction and seat work for about 40 minutes and I'm not sure what to have my assistant (or me) work on with her during that time? Printing and fine motor? Speaking? Any ideas or experiences you can share with me?

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Have you read her IEP yet? That should give you some insight into what she can be working on and what an appropriate skill level is. Also, her casemanager for special ed should be able to give you some ideas too.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2007

I think Kiiraj gave you great advice.... why not just get to know her for awhile and see at what level she is at... build from there. Try incorporating her from the beginning, and she how it goes.

Note- It's Down Syndrome- no "S" . This was brought to my attention a while ago, and I'm passing it along.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2007

When you say direct instruction, do you mean DI the program? Or do you mean direct instruction by the teacher.

Also do you mean rote counting or rote number recognition? A great progam for many kids with problems (that could help your regular first graders too) is touch math. It basically teaches kids to know that one is 1 object and two is 2 objects etc. I believe their website is www.touchmath.com