Grade on Explore Test

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MissCeliaB, Oct 11, 2014.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2014

I know that this is not best practices, nor is it the intent of the test, but I am being strongly encouraged to give a grade for my students on their Explore test in the spring. I want to include both growth and achievement. For the achievement component, I will take a score (on the reading section) out of 17,but high is benchmark. I cannot figure out how to include a growth component. How could I calculate this? Any suggestions?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

do you have past scores that might show you "typical" growth? I would use that data as a starting point. Kids that do as expected could get an 85. students that grow 5% more than expected, or whatever, get a 90. and so on.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

I would also, as my fight against the practice, make 50% of their grade on it for participation or such.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 11, 2014

Oh, I absolutely will find ways to make it not impact their grade too much. I decided to do a chart where if they go down it's a 60,sray the same it's a 70,improve one point an 80, etc. The expectation is that they improve three points. I added up several different possibilities, and no one did worse than about a 75%, which is not far off their average in my class, anyway.

6. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

If you have some time flexibility you could use a sub-category of the Explore (differentiation, if you have the time to individualize), do some reteaching of some general concepts within it, and give a scaled-down quiz covering that component. Then, you could use that foe the growth component snd average their teo scores, with participation built in. It could get a little complex and time-consuming, but it would make the ones who really care or obsess over scores some closure (if they didn't score where they wanted) and confidence (if they see they can improve before the next ACT prep test.

7. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Oct 15, 2014

Sorry for typos. My vision is going and I can't see posts clearly enough to edit before submitting. I blame all the extra hours I spend researching teaching topics on my phone after hours! LOL!