grade level discipline

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lynnnn725, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

What are your thoughts on a grade level discipline plan? My team wants to be consistent and so we are deciding on a discipline plan. The problem is...I DON'T like it. They are doing the clips even though they've said they don't work! Would it be sooooo horrible if I did not do clips. I feel like being comfortable with your behavior plan is important but I don't wanna cause problems for my team by being an outcast.

3. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I understand the consistency and the thought behind it. I think being consistent on rules and consequences is most important. I think that being comfortable with the way that your plan is implemented in your room is important. I would use their rules and consequences, but the implementation in my classroom would be a little different.

4. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I would talk to your team and possibly be able to provide an alternative plan/ solution. You need to let them know how you feel about it, but be able to have a solution in case they ask for one. :)

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2009

I do have a solution. I just feel like I am always the one to speak up! I know there are a couple others on the team that are not happy with the clip system but I am the only one bold enough to speak up! There are 8 of us. I feel like the bad guy all the time because I am always the "voice of change" ...
    On another note...our keynote speaker at a district workshop the other day said "Conflict is good! If there is no conflict, that means there probably isn't any change."
    I will bring it up when we next meet. I get the whole consistency thing...but at the same time what works for them might not work for me. As long as we have the same expectations. Ugh. JUST VENTING -sorry!

6. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

That's what I love about A to Z...guilt free venting! I completely understand your frustration. I am on a team of only four, I couldn't imagine working with 8! Always speak your mind! I'm also the one that always speaks up on my team and everyone else has a "I don't care" attitude. If you don't speak your mind, no one will know! :)

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

Speak up, you're entitled to your opinion. Why would a group consent to a plan that they know won't work? Sometime people are just like dumb sheep. Did you know that if you had a herd of sheep and the first sheep jumped over a log all the remainng sheep would jump over the log too even when the log was removed? Speak up, I've always respected those who do, even if I don't agree with them.

8. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Are you guys switching classes? Will your students ever be going to the other teachers classes? My opinion is that if the answer is NO then each teacher should be able to do their own system with the same rules.

I am 4th Grade Math and LA and the 3 of us are implementing the same rules and colors but doing our own systems. I am not thrilled because the lead (a 45 year vet) wants the kids to start on yellow I think they should start on green. She also wanted myself and a brand new teacher (just out of college) to buy this expensive card behavior system. I told her no way. I am using popcicle sticks and put the colors on them. I have in the past done my own thing.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2009

No, we don't switch classes. I will speak my part at our meeting. We'll see what happens!

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 9, 2009

That's strange they want to be consistent with a plan they don't think works. I agree that the clips don't work. I also don't see the benefit of consistency -- let me explain! Helping a child learn to self-monitor and do the right thing is as individual as the child and each situation. Consistent programs ignore motive and intention. They also invite kids to find loopholes.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 9, 2009

My principal has spoken to me about getting our grade all on the same plan. Two of us use the 100s square, and one uses clip strips. Since we have siblings in different classes, having all of us use the same plan make behavior grades easier to defend.

12. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Good Luck Lynnnn!