Grade level content split

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCafe, Jul 5, 2017.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 5, 2017

Would someone explain how this has worked in your experience?

I've accepted a reading teacher position either 4th or 5th grade. The testing grades are all split. Reading, math, science/social studies and writing. How does this look during the week?

A friend explained her experience in a class A-D and a rotating schedule but it was confusing. I'm excited and I know it will be a challenge. I struggle keeping track of 2 classes data, having to hold onto tests, bubble sheets, RTI folders, etc so however many classes this will be WILL be a challenge but a great career experience. I thought about how I won't have a colleuge to gleam information and lesson planning ideas on with everyone on the teach teaching something diffrecent but I know I'll mesh with the with science because much of science is reading.

Reading is my forte so to exclusively teach reading and not have to mess with writing and all that jazz sounds heavenly.

How does this work Monday through Friday. Do I technically have a homeroom? What does this look like? How do students handle this as far as routines and procedures. It sounds like middle school but in elementary they're still so immature so can they really handle that many management styles successfully?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 5, 2017

I've done a four way swap before, and it was hectic. The best way to answer your questions is to get in touch with your new team members.

4. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Jul 9, 2017

I taught a 4 way split in 5th while student teaching. We had a homeroom, but we only had them for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon and like 45 minutes for science. We had the same schedule every day. I had each class for about an hour. I don't remember our exact schedule, but it was something like

7:30-7:45 Homeroom
    7:45-8:45 1st Block
    8:45-9:55 2nd Block
    9:55-10:55 3rd Block
    10:55-11:40 Science
    11:40-12:40 Lunches/Transition/Recess
    12:40-1:40 4th Block
    1:40-2:20 Specials

There was also a time when

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  5. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 12, 2017

Thank you for this! It gives me some idea.

Yes, I know it's best to ask actual teammates but while waiting for paperwork to be finalized I have no access to my team and who will be on it as changes are still being made on shifting.

I asked for how this has worked for others. Simple question really. I keep picturing a middle school like setup but I'm thinking it's different in elementary.

Do students struggle with that many changes? So many think in elementary they need one teacher all day to deal so how do the ones in your experience deal with this? I personally think over 3rd grade they can absolutely handle departmentalized and as a teacher I cannot do the common core math and I really feel I would leave the profession for a bit if I had to be self contained in a testing grade.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2017

I have been departmentalized and self-contained. I prefer self-contained for many reasons. I am in a tested grade.

Not to be rude, but are you certified to teach math in your grade level? There are many books and workshops to help.

Our departmentalization has varied depending on how many sections we have (usually 3 of each grade in my building). LA always needs the most time, but math is a close second.

Good luck!