grade cards

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach1st, Dec 27, 2009.

1. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 27, 2009

What is everyone's thoughts on grade cards? Do you use benchmarks and a checkmark system or do you give letter grades? If you use the benchmarks, does anyone have an example I can view? We currently use letter grades. I would love to get away from this and use more of a check system, but I am not sure where to start. :help:

3. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

Report Cards

We use letter grades and I wish we used a checklist. It would be so much easier to decide what to base a grade on and to explain to parents! Plus it hurts to give students such low grades! The grade scale at my elementary school is harder than when I was in high school!

4. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

My adminstration is up for the checklist, I just need to form it and present it. I am hoping I can come up with something.

5. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

We use number grades. We are required to give written assessments on TEKS taught.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

We required to use Grade Quick which is computer based. Have you Googled for a check list?

7. old n new

old n new Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

Going from letter grades to standard based report cards

Right now we use letter grades but our principle wants to gradually change to a standard based report card. He decided that first grade teachers should develop one and start using it next year. The second grade would do it the following year, etc. We have been putting a checklist in with their report cards this year just to help us develop a report card for next year. It has been a lot of work. We have googled and looked up many different types of report cards. We have also kept copies from other schools. Either from when we observed at their schools or from when a child transfers in. There are so many different types that it is hard to know which one is best.

8. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

I work in a small school district so I am it. There aren't any other first grade teachers to work on this with. So I was hoping to pooling some first grade teachers here and see what they had to say.

Old n new thanks that is a place to start. Do you think the parents will accept the new grading system?

9. old n new

old n new Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

I don't know. I hope so. It will tell parents a lot more about what they need to work on with their child. Our kindergarten has used a standards based report card for years so we are hoping that next year's parents will be used to it and each year their child will get a similar report card. We are hoping the gradual change will work well. I would give you a copy of our checklist but I only have a paper copy. I will see about getting an electronic copy and attaching it for you. We have 4 first grade teachers and it seems like a big job to us. It would really be overwhelming to do it yourself. (Although you shouldn't have any disagreements-ha! ha!) Good luck! I will try to get back to you with that attachment after school has started and I can get a copy. We have only done the first two quarters and it is definately a work in progress but maybe it will help.

10. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Dec 31, 2009

That would be great thanks!!!