Grade Books

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Madrone, May 6, 2007.

1. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

May 6, 2007

Hello, everyone.

As the year winds down, I am beginning to think about changes for next year to help things go (much!) more smoothly. I have been looking on line for different types of grade books, but I think I am not phrasing it the best way.

I'd like to have something bound. I teach middle/high school, most likely 6 classes next year, an average of 25 students per class (though it has gone as high as 27 this year). I like to be able to take attendance and have space to record 3-5 grades per day.

Any ideas how I could find something like that? This year I created a form from Excel and have used it. I may continue it next year if I can't find a grade book that I want. Suggestions?

Madrone

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 6, 2007

Are you looking for an online gradebook or a written gradebook?

4. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

May 6, 2007

I am looking for something very similar (one to write in) and also haven't been able to find anything so far. I will have 5 classes, 20-25 students in each, need to record attendance and at least two grades per day. We are on block scheduling so I would prefer the top not to be labeled according to M-F but just blank for me to write in the date. We are also on 12 week assessment periods instead of 9. I keep everything on my computer this year, which is fine, but I want something more practical to use during the day since we are not allowed to be on the computer at all if kids are in the room. I end up writing everyone's scores on little pieces of paper and then recording them at night. Hopefully somebody has just what we're looking for! :)

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 7, 2007

If you use Microsoft Word, they have tons of downloads on their site. The good thing about them is that you can also modify them for your needs. I modify theirs, print them, and use a 1/2 inch binder to store them. I can also keep them electronically.

6. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

May 7, 2007

Did not know that about MS downloads. I'll check them out.

I am looking for hard-copy. Our school has (questionable) software, but if something else works better, I'm open to it.

Thanks@\!

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2007

Honestly, I've bought the cheapest ones I could find ($1 a piece) and changed them to fit my purpose. We do an online gradebook, but I keep my hard copy just in case. With the cheap gradebooks you could have 1 per class period, which would give you enough room to write all the grades you wanted to in it. Since I teach 2nd, I only have one gradebook, but have tabbed it for the different subjects, attendance, and behavior.

If you find a downloadable version you like, you can always copy and have it bound for you. Our school has a binding machine, but there are office supply stores who will do it for cheap.

Don't know if that helped at all, but it was my 2 cents.

8. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 7, 2007

I know that my school provides them for teachers but I use Microsoft teachers addition which has an option for a gradebook to keep my grades on the computer which you can print off the computer.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 10, 2007

I have a template someone gave me if you want it.