Grade 6 Literature Circles

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Mar 22, 2022.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 22, 2022

If you've done literature circles, can you please give me suggestions? Thank you so much.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Mar 22, 2022

Not sure what you are looking for advice wise...
    so...are they all reading same book, or do they get to choose book from various choices?
    Do you set how much they read before they meet, or do they?
    I find I need to give them roles -
    I highly recommend Harvey Daniels & Nancy Steineke writings on this... there are others too...There's so much to decide. How often, for how long - do they read for hw before hand...
    The goals can vary too - deeper comprehension, joy, reading strategies...

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 23, 2022

Not sure what you are looking for advice wise... I'm looking for any suggestions and to see how other teachers have run their circles.
    so...are they all reading same book, or do they get to choose book from various choices? They will get to choose.
    Do you set how much they read before they meet, or do they? I will let them decide.
    I find I need to give them roles - I will give them roles.
    I highly recommend Harvey Daniels & Nancy Steineke writings on this...Thank you-I have read this! there are others too...There's so much to decide. How often, for how long - do they read for hw before hand...
    The goals can vary too - deeper comprehension, joy, reading strategies...
    We're going to do this for 2 weeks after we get back from break and then I'll see how it's going! Thanks so much for all of your help!

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 24, 2022

When they first meet, have them do up a reading schedule they set themselves. If they're reading different books, it's extra work for you to set schedules for each group. It's also a layer of accountability. *You* agreed that this was do-able, so no excuses.

For roles, I've heard of secretary- takes meeting notes, chief inquisitor- comes up with discussion questions, condenser- responsible for summarizing what was read, prophesier- predicts what might come next, accountability officer- checks if everyone read the section for the week and if everyone performed their duties. Depending on how big your groups are, you could add roles with tasks like graphing the plot or critiquing the book.

If it's possible, I suggest doing a rotating lunch bunch or reader's cafe to check in with each group and stimulate further conversation or give any guidance needed. It also makes it more like a real book club.

nstructor and creativemonster like this.
  6. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Mar 24, 2022

I think guided discussion questions can help keep students on task - both the guiding questions creator(s) and the person keeping group on task, refocusing as needed, are both important roles. I love lit circles! (I teach HS, so might be different - I did run lit circles with 6th graders once upon a long time ago, but they were all reading same book.)
    I can't remember where I got my role sheets from - Daniels, or Burke, or...Sorry I have no idea, but lots of choices of roles and each role's job - I found having them read and prep work before discussion is really what makes discussions rich, but when I had students who couldn't handle homework then I had to give additional time in class to do all of that before they share their thoughts, discoveries and questions. Its the actual discussions that were valuable to me - the prep work students had to do, was just prep work. And then my share outs were quick after - what was something that struck you in today's lit circle? something like that.