Grade 6-8 teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Jul 26, 2015.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 26, 2015

What are you planning to do the first week of school?

3. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Jul 26, 2015

The first week of school I will be showing the students my procedures and doing assessments to collect data to begin with.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2015

Procedures, procedures, and more procedures!

I'll also give the pre-assessment for the first unit and hand out textbooks. By day three, I'm teaching.

5. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Jul 26, 2015

They say spend the first two weeks on routines and procedures. I plan on doing this, as well as a pretest so I can play my lessons while we do procedures and routines. I'd much rather go through my first two weeks practicing procedures than going through my first year constantly battling discipline.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 26, 2015

Routines and procedures, as well as dismantling the "roadblocks" to learning science that many kids come burdened with. Essentially I break down the excuses that science is too hard, science is too boring, and that science has nothing to do with their lives.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 26, 2015

Policies and procedures take up a good part of the time. I will also need to hand out books, and then I plan to get right into the routine for the year. I have a great mapping activity that I got from a colleague, and it is a great place to start because it covers content and assesses geography skill levels.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2015

We'll do some team-building activities scattered throughout the week; but we really dive right in. I incorporate diagnostic assessment into the first units of the year in math and literacy. There are always lots of disruptions during the first week, so I make sure that my plans are very flexible.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2015

I jump right into content literally day one. I start teaching argument writing and historical investigation using artifacts from my life and a "field trip" to my car. Day two they write personal histories, day three they respond to a text for the first time, and so on.

The idea of teaching procedures out of context is rather silly I find. Middle schoolers know what is expected and are ridiculously good at adapting. When an unique procedure comes into play naturally in the learning setting then we'll go over it, practice it once and then move on.

I send home a policies sheet but don't even go over it in class. You do not need them rolling their eyes at you in the first few days. Respect them as students and they'll respect you as a teacher.

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2015

I do a seating challenge first thing for each of the first five days of school. Based on those results, I'll set up my seating chart. I think I found this seating activity here years ago-not sure. I get paperwork out of the way, lay out my expectations, do some preliminary assessments. I also set up our interactive notebook. I have not fleshed out all my plans beyond that, but expect to start work at least by day three.

11. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 29, 2015

Great ideas. Can you be more specific about your day 1? What exactly do you do, and how do you start teaching argument?

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2015

I have 5 "artifacts" from my life ranging from my baby picture to a listen of a random song on my personal Pandora station (and including the field trip to my car). Students have 5 questions to answer about me that they must justify using evidence from the artifacts. Since none of them know me (well, nearly none) they are forced to use the evidence to reach an answer. That becomes our jumping off point for teaching arguments.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2015

Day One I have all the kids go around and say their name, where they are from and one thing about themselves. It's quick, easy and then I don't mispronounce their name. (As someone who ALWAYS had the teacher mispronounce their name, I find this important) I go over safety in the classroom- exits, eye wash stations, etc. I go over procedures in classroom- when you can get up, where supplies are, etc. Then go into a general lab. My introduction, safety overview and procedures don't take over 15 minutes.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2015

My students will be greeted with a hello at the door. Then, they will tell me their names and then I give each one a pre-course test to get them working right away. I did this last year and it really set the tone of work being done in my class. Plus, the results will let me know who my strong and weak ones are. I'm considering giving them those timed multiplication tests to see if they know their times table. You can immediately see who will struggle in class if 6th graders don't know their facts!