Grade 5 Grammar Skills Book?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Oct 25, 2013.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Oct 25, 2013

What do you use with your students? We use Write Source and I don't like it. Recommendations?

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 26, 2013

We use Houghton Mifflin. While it has more practice than Write Source, it still is mediocre. Some of the worksheets in 5th grade are identical to the 4th grade worksheets. Yes, word for word...unbelievable.

4. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Mar 21, 2015

I would use Daily Language Practice from Evan Moor, I agree with Readingrules Houghton Mifflin is mediocre... and that's being nice. Good luck!

5. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

I'm heading into year 2 of using "Mentor Sentences" created and sold on TPT by jivey.

The premise is studying / dissecting / revising / imitating sentences from popular picture books - seeing how real authors create their sentences.

My partner teacher and I have found tremendous buy-in from our students and tremendous growth in their understanding of sentence structure and conventions.

Chele :)

6. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Aug 26, 2015

CheleOh-

I am attempting Mentor Sentences using the same program. Do you have to do a lot of pre-teaching of skills in isolation? When I ask my 5th graders to label the different parts of speech most have no idea what an article, preposition, adverb etc. are to be able to label much at all. When I ask them what they notice about the sentence on Mondays, I get a lot of blank stares.

Any advice?