Grade 4 or Grades 1-3 Special Education?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LonGuy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

Hello,

I just got offered a maternity leave position for either a Grade 4 classroom or a Grades 1-3 special education classroom. I am having a hard time deciding which position to choose, and would like to welcome some advice from other teachers.

I have taught special education in the past, and feel more comfortable doing the special education position. However, I do not want to be a special education teacher forever, and feel like I would be "stuck" in the field of special education if I took this position.

However, at the same time, I have never taught Grade 4 in the past, and am very nervous about taking the position. This position requires someone who can utilize a SMART Board, and I am great at using it. That aspect of the position attracts me, as well as I am thinking that teaching a regular class would diversify my experience.

Another thing to consider is the length of the contacts. The special education position would give me two extra months, compared to the grade 4 position. This fact makes it tough to decide which one to take.

I welcome any advice or suggestions. I need to make a decision by tomorrow morning, so it would be great if I could get some input before that.

Thanks!
    LonGuy

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

Sounds like you already are leaning towards one...I would take the Grade 4 position. Good luck!

4. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

If you feel you would be stronger with the Special Education class I would go with that one. If it's a strength of yours it puts you in a position to impress the administration with your skill.

5. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Aug 31, 2011

I just got out of K-5 Special Ed and made the jump to 3rd grade! I love it and glad I made that decision. The teacher who had Special Ed before I took over made the jump to 4th and she loves it. Do what u feel is right for u. It took me sometime and thought, but I love my 3rd grade class this year.