Grade 4 Home Reading Program

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by blondie, Jul 12, 2008.

1. blondie

blondie New Member

Jul 12, 2008

I was wondering if anyone has any great ideas for a home reading program. Last year I sent out a calendar and each night they read, the student had their parents initial the calendar. For a minimum of 20 nights of reading, they got a postive referral from the office. My grade group partner then had the students each month write a 3 paragrah book report. I did this last year but found it very boring. Please help.

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

we do home reading but it's part of their outside reading grade. Last year I did a calendar-this year I'm going to do a weekly form with a response. We also AR so they have to read an AR book at home and then they can test on it.

My form is on my webpage-I'm just getting it off the ground but you can find the page under For Students. http://www.freewebs.com/nnowlin/

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I had an awful time getting my students to read outside of school last year. On the very first day of school, I sent home a detailed letter about what was expected. Every parent returned it signed. I repeated my expectations at Back to School Night....no questions, no concerns from the parents. The students were asked to read for 25 minutes per night, Monday-Thursday. They had a log that they had to fill in with the title, a brief summary (I asked for only 2 sentences), and the number of minutes they read. The log was due every Friday. I don't think I ever had more than 60% of my class turn it in. I called parents, I sent home notes, nothing worked. The log counted as a grade in reading each week....and some students got 7-9 Fs every grading period (which, obviously resulted in a lower reading grade). No one seemed to care. We also had AR, and our grade level had a requirement of 4 tests passed with 80% or higher or 4 AR points per month. I was lucky to get 30% of my kids to achieve that goal.

I am not sure where the breakdown was. I did not change my expectations at all from the previous years as a 4th grade teacher, but the lack of work completion in that area was very sad to me...especially when the parents were very much aware of the requirements.

I am taking this year off to be home with my infant son and preschool-aged daughter, but I am still planning what I will do as far as "at-home" reading when I do return to work the following school year.