Grade 2 classroom needs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newteacher999, Nov 15, 2005.

1. newteacher999

newteacher999 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

I am a student teacher looking for what 2nd grade teachers need for their classrooms in the area of reading. My assignment is to provide a manipulative related to reading for the class. My teacher has everything I suggest. Are there any games or centers that are a must for this age the reading area?

3. jcg

jcg Cohort

Nov 15, 2005

Maybe some letter cards that they can put together to form words or some words that students can put together to form sentences.

4. newteacher999

newteacher999 Rookie

Nov 15, 2005

This really got me thinking. I will check out some resources for magnetic words, or word families. Thanks

5. jcg

jcg Cohort

Nov 15, 2005

If you could put together some word chunk cards for word families that would be appreciated, like -ing and then have an -s, -d, -br, th, etc.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

Word wall words. Posters about punctuation, spelling. Magnetic white boards for magnetic letters and writing. Various kinds of writing paper. Materials for book-making. Reading buddies (stuffed animals) if desired. Rug for reading on, soft chairs, soft light. Classroom sets of books. Baskets to keep them in. Bookmarks. Reading incentive items. Post-it notes for kids to mark unfamiliar words or difficult passages.

7. Amy S

Amy S New Member

Nov 16, 2005

a listening center with either cassettes and books or CD's - my kids love this and it's great for story re-reading with lower readers.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 17, 2005

Sentence strips and pocket chart.

9. gymnastNteach

gymnastNteach Rookie

Nov 17, 2005

mad libs

i am student teaching in 2nd grade and my students LOVE mad libs. they can be a little difficult, but it really helps the students learn nouns, adjectives, etc.... after they've done their page with a partner, they always ask me to read the mad libs out loud to the class, and they all think it's hysterical!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 17, 2005

A set of 5-6 echo phones would be wonderful. There are several versions. You can get the cheap version (which I personally think is best) for $4.95 each.

11. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Nov 17, 2005

I use poker chips for students to move for each syllable in a word. I also use them for each sound. Post-it notes are also very helpful and highlighters.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 18, 2005

Playing cards-1 set per two students at least. Can use for lots of math activities.
    Okay so we've got poker chips and playing cards. Hope nobody thinks we're teaching them to gamble!

13. pamms

pamms Comrade

Nov 19, 2005

Language arts bingo games.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 19, 2005

level books.....

15. newteacher999

newteacher999 Rookie

Nov 19, 2005

Thanks for all the great ideas! I found several ideas that will be great!

16. kermy

kermy Companion

Nov 20, 2005

I'm also going into a second grade class. my problem is math, i've been so use to working with the older kids that i'm making things too hard for themwe are working with money , do you have any suggetion? thanks!

17. newteacher999

newteacher999 Rookie

Nov 20, 2005

I have been in the 2nd grade Math as well this past month. One thing that really seemed to help the teacher with money, was have each child bring a bag of coins to use for money lessons and worksheets. I think it helps to actually have physical coins to count. This teacher sent home a note prior to the money unit and had each family mark their coins with their name. If children didn't bring their own, the teacher provided fake coins to use.

18. kermy

kermy Companion

Nov 20, 2005

wow, that is really cool, how much $ did each kids bring? Thanks

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 21, 2005

Some schools will provide manipulatives. Our school did, but I find that I need more than a "classroom set".

20. dee

dee Companion

Nov 21, 2005

One way to help students count money is to use dots over coins then count by fives. Ex. over a nickel- 1 dot; dime -2 dots; quarter -5 dots.

This helped my students tremendously.

21. newteacher999

newteacher999 Rookie

Nov 28, 2005

They each brought in a bag with 4 quarters, 5 dimes, 10 nickels and about 15 pennies. They were able to keep track of their bag, because they marked the bag with their name. Fake coins from a place like the dollar store work just as well.

22. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Nov 29, 2005

I found a bunch of the punch-out manipulative coins that were not being used (or you could photocopy and cut blackline versions) and glued different combinations of pennies, nickels, dimes & quarters on the back of a Ritz cracker box (use any type of box... the crackers just happened to be almost empty!). I divided the box into 2 columns and maybe 5 rows. Glue the coins on the left side column and then write the amount on the right side. Students match up the answers, put them in order (mine are supposed to go in order from smallest amount of money to biggest) and then flip over the cards when they are finished. If they're right, the cracker box will look like it is supposed to. Hope that makes sense...

23. Paula Sue

Paula Sue Rookie

Dec 1, 2005

I need some help with second grade. What are mad libs??

24. kermy

kermy Companion

Dec 1, 2005

Oh they are sooo fun! it is a silly story that leaves out adjectives, nouns, and other common parts of speech. It can ask for a girls name or a color and then you read it and it turns out to be a funny story. You can get them at any place I would think. Kids love them.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 1, 2005

Have we mentioned addition and subtraction flash cards? I'm always buying those.

26. Paula Sue

Paula Sue Rookie

Dec 2, 2005

Thanks,
    I'll have to look for them. Thanks so much!

27. kermy

kermy Companion

Dec 2, 2005

yea they are really helpful for those who almost have it down. oh just as a side note I just got to get my new avatar!

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 2, 2005

I get my college intern to make I have, who has cards for phonics, math, science and social studies. The kids really like playing that game. I usually put the cards in a center when we are finished for four kids to play.

29. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 3, 2005

My kids are always asking if they can grab a set of cards and a partner. They love practicing their facts. Anyone have trouble with them coming up to you and saying "We're done", meaning they've gone through the deck once? It's so funny. I tell them to mix them up and do them again.