Grade 10- To Kill a Mockingbird?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newteacher88, Dec 20, 2011.

1. newteacher88

newteacher88 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

Hi all,
    I'm a student teacher who will be teaching To Kill a Mockingbird in January. I love this book so much, and I'm really excited to teach it, but I'm a little stuck on activities and incorporating skills for my students. Can anyone throw a little advice or some suggestions my way? Thanks!!

:)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 20, 2011

I don't teach this, but love the novel. It is a tough read for many students.

I highly recommend searching on the English Companion Ning for TKaM ideas. http://englishcompanion.ning.com/

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011

:yeahthat:

The ECN is an endless source of information. I've only taught the novel once, and that was to a low-level class, so we used the screenplay. You might incorporate that a bit--have students act out some of the scenes.

5. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

I have taught this before for my 8th grade Honors Students, and I have them read the book at home, and then discuss significant parts in the novel and answering questions the students do not understand. I have them write a paper on the use of juxtaposition, and some references of the Civil Rights movements have also been a big help. And, after they read, I usually show the movie. Also, symbolism is heavy in this novel, so have the students dive deeper into the meaning of the novel is great, too.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 21, 2011

My wife taught this to her freshmen students. The students seemed to really like it once they got into the court case...

She did a lot of things like making an argument - using evidence from the book, is he guilty or not guilty...

She also did theme, moral issues, character building, character that kind of thing.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 21, 2011

My daughters had to rewrite a chapter of the book from the perspective of a different character. They both loved the assignment and really made them understand the novel, and the characters.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 21, 2011

Agreed! I can't tell you how invaluable the ECN is to me! It's a must have bookmark for any English teacher!