Grad school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.SLS, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 12, 2011

I'm currently enrolled in a masters program through ACE, (American College of Education) which is all online. Each course is 5 weeks long and consists of:

one weekly quiz
    one weekly assignment (about 3 to 6 pages average)
    4 or 5 article readings
    1 or 2 videos
    mandatory participation in discussion forums (1 original post with a reference and 2 replies)

The fifth week is more intense as we have to take a 20-question multiple choice test from what we learned all the previous weeks. The good thing is that you can access all the information while taking the test and there is a 3-hour time limit.

The first week was a little confusing because this is an online class and there are deadlines. A paper or post cannot be done after the deadline. The system won't let you turn it in.

So far, it’s been very convenient. I love it. I can work on it at any time. It is also one of the most affordable online colleges I've found.

2. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Aug 12, 2011

I worked full-time and went to grad school full-time for 3 years. It sucked. My life was work, straight to school to study/eat, class, home to read/study... then sleep and do it all over again. I had no social life at all. Having said that, I got it all over in three short years, and am glad I did it that way, so I don't have to ever go back again (I hope).

3. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

What is full time for you? I could only do up to 9 credits in a semester and I usually do 6 week blasts (one class, finish and then the next for 6 weeks) and I do not take the three classes at the same time.

4. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

If you have the option, I'd really recommend NOT doing full-time grad school and full-time teaching. It's very hard and it's important to have a great balance in your life!

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

My classes are on-line and each course is 5 weeks long, with a week break in between courses. I'm starting my 4th course in another week. The first two courses were tough and I truly think they were just weeding us out. It has gotten easier.

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

You know, thinking about it, I think they might be doing something similar in my program. For my first course, that starts NEXT Wednesday, I've already had to read a book and write a paper on it, due the first day of class. Then she just sent out a crazy list of more reading and assignments. The syllabus from my next class I got is nothing compared to this first one.

The program is for bilingual/multicultural ed, so they have it set up in a cohort style, with 3 six-week courses that meet one night a week, and all day Saturday. The schedule is convenient, but it's a semesters worth of work packed into 6 weeks.

I guess I will just need to drink more coffee :)

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

I also worked full-time while getting my master's. I didn't think it was too horrible. I like being busy though. I typically spent my weekends working on my papers. Obviously, I didn't have much of a life between work and school, but that's the way it goes sometimes!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 12, 2011

You don't have kids too do you because if you do, I don't know how you do it!

No matter how busy you get, try your best to mk time for yourself, even if it's 10 min of just lying down & clearing your mind a few times a day. Try to take a walk when you can too.

I was subbing the whole time I was in grad school plus working a PT job on eves/wknds, so it wasn't quite as hectic as your situation. Then, there was a time I was working on my comps exam essays & having to memorize them, student teaching 6th gr, & the PT job all at once. It was a lot, but I pulled through!

I'm now back in grad school again, but it's ALL online & subbing all 5 days a week. No more 2nd job, thank God!

9. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

I wanted to go to this university every since middle school, but the tuition is through the roof-so needless to say I was ecstatic to get accepted into their graduate program. I started my first year of teaching and first year of grad school at the same time=Not a great idea. I took this past year off, focused more on my teaching/organizational skills, and will begin my grad program again (going part-time) this Fall. My classes are not online, I have to attend class about twice a week in the evenings. I prefer it this way, I think if I had online classes, I would procrastinate a lot more.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

I worked full-time and went to my undergrad super full time, and it was basically regular 16 hour days. I got through that just fine, but I was a younger lady then! :)

Thank Goodness I don't have kids, because if I did, I don't think I could do it.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

I couldn't do an online program, either. I love doing sutff online, but am a terrible procrastinator. Besides, after a long day, I need the interaction with my classmates to keep me interested and engaged. Most of our classes so far have centered around discussions, which is good for me. Also, we meet from 4:45-8:45, and rotate bringing food. I eat a lot during the course of the evening, but it's a nice way to get to know people. Also, it's nice to only have to worry about food once in 8 or so weeks rather than every week :)