Grad School Help.. quickly

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linda8416, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Linda8416

Linda8416 Rookie

Oct 2, 2015

Hi guys! I need help. Recently I had to discuss an education policy that I feel affects students from reaching their fullest academic potential. I discussed the Common Core.

Now, I'm being asked to focus on an entire class, a group of students within the class, or a single student.

Can anyone help me think of how the Common Core Policy might affect a student? I can't seem to put it into words.

Help!

Thank you so much

Merari

3. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Oct 3, 2015

You could work an angle where a student who has excelled in previous curriculum's is now struggling with the new common core standards, due to lack of teacher training, or inability to understand the new practices. In general I'd play on the idea of a student who was working well in his or her old environment who is now falling behind because of a change in the learning environment? Would that work?

Good luck :)

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 3, 2015

I'd personally look towards younger students, and the way that yesterday's first grade skills are today's kindergarten skills. I personally wasn't ready to read until I was almost out of first grade, but when I started to read, I shot through the levels quickly. I sometimes wonder what I'd be going through if I went through school today. I'm sure "first grade me" would find himself in some dreadfully boring, scripted program as part of RTI which would have done precisely nothing to make me actually want to read.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

6. Linda8416

Linda8416 Rookie

Oct 3, 2015

Thank you Thank You and Thank you!!! I can now put my ideas in writing with all of your thoughts and suggestions!