grad school help needed

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mrsnoble116, Jul 28, 2006.

1. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 28, 2006

I am an elementary teacher and I am getting my Master's in Elementary Curriculum...however, one of the courses I am taking is a Secondary Curriculum Course.

I just had to do a paper for my Elementary Curriculum course and had to describe my ideal program with 10 attributes. What I need are 10 attributes for my ideal Secondary program, but I don't really know what would be good.

These are the 10 I used for Elementary:
    Parenting Center
    Parental Involvement
    Professional Development
    Mentoring/Tutoring
    Technology Integration
    School Wide Discipline Policy
    Computer Lab
    Library Resources
    School Newsletter
    Grade Level Meetings

For Secondary I was thinking:
    sports program
    extracurriculars
    parent involvement
    school wide discipline policy
    pc lab
    department meetings

I need more advice on what makes a good Secondary school.

Thanks!!!

3. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Aren't these assignments fun? I think many of your elementary attributes are good for the high school level as well. Sports program would fall under extracurricular. In addition, mentoring for both new teachers and freshman students are good to have. We have a transition program with upperclassmen serving as mentors to the frosh class. Tutoring in all areas would be great. I don't know if it would fit in your assignment or not, but professional development time is great. We use a PLC model for ours. Hope this helps a little.

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 28, 2006

I was kind of afraid of all the attributes fitting for secondary. The problem is for each attribute I have to describe why it's important and cite 2 things from professional literature as to why it's beneficial. I've exhausted some resources for the elementary attributes...and it's the same professor.

Thanks for you input.

5. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

As long as you cite your sources, maybe he'll see that things don't really change from the elementary level to the high school level when it comes to what teachers and students need. It seems that there are some basic things that stay the same. Goodness, we could use nap time too! Just trying to lighten the moment.