Grad school frustration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by bandnerdtx, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

I need some advice.

I took an online grad class this summer, and the whole class has just been a comedy of errors. The assignments have been confusing and frustrating for all of us. I feel confident saying "all of us" because part of the assignments have required us to have group discussions online. During every discussion, we've all complained about how poorly structured the class has been.

Anyway, we had 3 major assignments due Monday that accounted for 1/3 of our grade. The last official day of class is today. Yesterday, the professor returned our grades, and I discovered that I did 1 of the 3 assignments completely wrong. Completely.

I emailed a few of my classmates and asked them how they had done and sent them my assignment and her comments to see if they could help explain to me what I had done wrong. One of my classmates responded that the same thing happened to her. Another one, whom I have helped tremendously through the whole class, called me and told me that she got full marks on the assignment because ANOTHER student had called the professor before the assignment was due and spent a couple of hours with her on the phone discussing what he needed to do. He (the student) then sent out an email to a few of his friends (the girl who called me included), giving them a detailed rundown of his conversation with the professor. The prof had even told him specifically what "example" information needed to be included in the assignment.

I emailed the prof yesterday when I got the grade and asked her if I could resubmit the assignment now that I understood what I had done wrong. She emailed me this morning and told me no. That means that I will end up with a B in the class.

Should I push this further? Do I have a right? I am a complete basket case right now. I want to prove that I can do the work and that I understand the assignment. I'm frustrated that she had all of these assignments due on Monday and didn't give us our grades until the day her grades were due to be submitted to the university. Isn't the point to *teach* us?

I don't know. I'm just a mess right now. My husband, who is a former professor, says I should fight this, but I'm not a fighter. I'm also really trying to see things from both perspectives. Do I have the right to fight this? :thanks:

(Is there not a smiley that's crying his eyes out??? I need one!)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

First off, a B isn't the end of the world.

Second, yes, I think you should fight this. Contact your school's student advocacy office or the dean of that department/college to get the ball rolling.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

I had an online course with the same scenario, the prof wouldn't help, refused to talk to me when I called, and I had no contact with anyone else. I ended up failing the course, should I have fought it? YES, I am sorry I didn't ....see I since learned that for profs to do those kinds of online classes most univerisities require they give the same amount of time to the online one as to their regular ones, they can be denied the right to do anymore online classes if they have failed in their duty. Now of course some schools hand out online classes like candy to profs for extra money without the extra effort......so be prepared they may do nothing.

However doing something is better than wondering if you should have.....

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

The issue that I would have with this class is that the professor clarified the instructions for the assignment for the one student (who then told some of the other students), but not for everyone. If the professor saw that the students didn't understand the assignment, and that it took several HOURS to explain it to the student who called her, she should have posted a clarification on the website.

On the other hand, did you realize while you were doing the assignment that it didn't make much sense or that you were having problems with it? You could have contacted the professor yourself...

And is there anything in the syllabus about redoing assignments? Many professors now say that they don't allow redos, so you might be out of luck complaining to an administrator about that. If you want to fight it, do it from the angle that the students who got the extra-secret instructions passed with flying colors while the rest of you failed the assignment. No assignment should have such a bimodal distribution of grades. And the fact that you weren't the only one to misunderstand the assignment should help. Good luck!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

Thanks everyone, for the advice! I think the professor did see that some students clearly were at a loss about the assignment while others did exceedingly well because she is allowing those of us who scored poorly to resubmit the assignment.

Thanks for letting me vent and for the advice and support!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

Been there..done that

I have a thread out there.."Help, my college professor hates me." I should go back to finish it off!

First time I took a summer class, and first lousy class and crabby teacher I ever had! From day one, she was cold and calculating in her emails, and joking whenever you asked a question.

she was as about as clear as Spock was in Star Trek. Whenever you asked a question, her response was.. "Well, I supposed, uh..maybe, I don't know, what do you think?" Geez lady, just tell us, yes or no!

This teacher called me everything name but my own, up until the last week of school.

She called me twice to say my work had to be done over. She even asked if she could use my work as a sample, "I don't think everyone understand what I want." Uh, no...you don't say. :eek:

Finally, the school's online grade system was scheduled to shut down for maintenance right after finals. So I emailed her and asked if she could send me a letter stating my final grade. She said, "I am on vacation, I will not send a letter. I suggest you try getting info from another site before system goes down. I don't have to turn in grades until 8/1." How's that for being a helpful teacher??? :eek:

I have learned over the years, the adjunct and sometimes part time teachers are really not interested in students like regular professors. Everyone felt the same way about this one. And we got upset because the teacher survey was not very clear, and it was hard to mark what we really wanted to say. No questions to ask specifically about her teaching skills.

But on the back part, I let her have it!

So I say, go to the dean. All they can do is say no. At least you tried! :help:

It would be my luck that she visits this site!