Grad school comps

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by webmistress, Nov 4, 2006.

1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 4, 2006

I'm beyond nervous. Has anyone taken it? How did you study for it?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

I took the comps. Essentially, we were given the questions, but had to do the research and memorize, if you will, the answers .....

4. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2006

ORAL COMPS - Yes I was nervous, but I shouldn't have been. It was easier that I thought it would be. It was basically sharing what we had learned and accomplished in the program, and less like a test.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2006

We were given 5 questions to prepare for and then the test was 3 of those questions (or maybe 4- it WAS 10 years ago!!) I made outlines, wrote and rewrote the essays over and over, walked it , talked it, slept it, ate it.....it consumed me....I was so ready by the time I took the comps and did well. I still thik comps were better than a thesis....:D

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2006

I took a class where each of us was assigned one of the grad courses to outline. We then Xeroxed our outlines and shared a summary with the rest of the class. It was wonderful prep!!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2006

Ditto for me too!

8. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 6, 2006

thanks

SO you were given the questions? WOW!
    I was thinking they would come up with 3 essay questions from out of the blue. Then again, my school could be different?? I guess I should ask someone at my school..

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2006

We were given about 13 weeks to research 8 questions that we got beforehand in which we could get as much feedback as possible from up to a few professors, who would be grading us on the actual exam. 2-3 double spaced typed pages for each question was the prefered length along w/ several references for each.

We had to memorize as as much as we could & took a 4 hour timed test on 2 Saturdays to type our responses in the campus computer lab.

Anyone who didn't pass had to wait another year & that would be their last chance. I made flashcards & an audio tape and played it all the time. I was student teaching throughout the entire process. It was the most intese time of my life, but I passed the first time. On top of that, we were only told about 2 weeks before gradution whether we passed & could participate in graduation.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 12, 2006

Thanks for sharing.
    I just found out that my school does NOT give the questions in advance:(....but I'm gonna pass it, still:)<<PRAYING>>