Grad School Blues...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherGrl7, Dec 2, 2007.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 2, 2007

We're reaching the end of the semester, when all of the projects are due, and I am hating school more and more with each passing hour. I find it so ironic that graduate school for my masters degree in teaching would make me hate school so much. This semester has been brutal. The projects have been excessive, and too many elements of them have been out of our control. One teacher cancelled class twice this semester...one was last week- the week before our big project is due-the day that she was supposed to review how to score the tests that we have been administering all semester. I'm stressed. This is due tomorrow and I feel like I have spent the past 72 hours in front of the computer working on it and I have not learned anything.

Just needed to put it out there to someone other than my classmates. Teaching and taking two classes at the same time is crazy!!! Can't wait till this semester is over.... :(

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 2, 2007

I'm mid way through my master's right now, and I'm feeling your pain, teachergrl...

How much more do you have to go?

4. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 3, 2007

I'm on my last 2 grad classes right now - and I've put everything off this semester until the end:( I have a 20 page paper due Friday, plus my book log - and I lost one of my books! Then I have my final exam and 2 five page papers due by next Wednesday for my other course. I just want it over - with passing grades...

5. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Dec 3, 2007

I'm doing my masters too (SLOWLY) but the prof I have this semester just hit us with 3 major last-minute projects . . . Sigh. . . I agree grad school can make me blue too!!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2007

It should be work. It shouldn't be easy. This is a graduate degree. It is the hallmark of a professional educator who cares abou this or her own professional development. It says you care enough about what you do to go the extra mile in improving yourself as a teacher. I held my grad students to high standards- you should expect the same of yourself. :2cents:

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 3, 2007

I'm in grad school too and I agree the projects are a lot of work, but the lectures are useless in my opinion. In other words, I've been sitting through class doing NOTHING while people share stories about their teaching experiences. None of it applied to the topic the class was supposed to be and none was prepared by the teacher. We did three large projects and one research assignment, those were the only valuable parts and we had to figure out how to do them on our own. It was awful, I am so glad it's over. I can only hope my next two classes are more interesting and actually teach something.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2007

Funny you should mention grad school.... I'm looking into applying to schools to obtain an MSW. ................... I know how grad school can be... and it's definitely a struggle to manage a full time job and assignments.

9. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Dec 5, 2007

I agree.....a graduate degree requires a higher standard of expectations and work. Some of this sounds more like middle school complaining.

10. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

I think we were all just venting because we are so stressed out at this time of year as it is.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 13, 2007

I don't expect it to be a walk in the park, nor would I want it to be. In the program I am in right now there is too much busy work. I am busting my butt and not learning anything new. If I am going to be doing this much work, I expect to walk out feeling like a more prepared teacher. I won't speak for others, but in my case, I'm not.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 14, 2007

Yeah, I think it's a big leap from complaining about the type of work to saying we expect a "walk in the park." No one even implied that. Are we never allowed to critcize our professors now? Are we not allowed to voice our concerns about the legitimacy of teacher preparation programs? As teachers in the classroom, shouldn't we be the *most* critical of these classes?

13. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Dec 14, 2007

I agree, bandnerd. It seems like the main complaint is that the work itself is not challenging, and there is a large volume of it. I totally sympathize! I just finished my first semester of education classes (grad level, but for certification only) after completing all the coursework for a masters in marine science. The difference is night and day. The marine science classes are what I expect grad school to be like. We didn't have an overwhelming volume of assignments, but they were challenging. I feel like I learned a lot and the professors really gave some good feedback when grading them. My education classes, on the other hand, were not challenging and every time I turned around there was something else to do (and reflect on). The professors basically just gave everyone a perfect score on everything as long as we completed all parts of it. I mean, I feel pretty confident in my abilities as a teacher, but I certainly don't think I'm perfect. There must have been something that needed improvement! I have learned some things in my education classes, but not nearly as much as I was hoping/expecting.

Just my :2cents:!

~Briana~

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 14, 2007

Part of it is this: There's fair consensus as to the bedrock knowledge and attitudes required to be a successful marine scientist, and one expects the results of a given procedure carried out on a given sample to be replicable, because that's how science works. In contrast, there's less consensus as to what it takes to be a successful high school teacher - technique A in the hands of teacher G may get nowhere with student X, for reasons which are nobody's shortcoming, and the whole head of steam behind NCLB has to do with the difficulty of obtaining OBJECTIVE measures of successful teaching. In addition... let's just say that the attitudes of the majority of the participants over the years tend to have an influence on the process.