Gracefully Introduce Portfolio?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DressageLady, Aug 4, 2013.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

I had my last district screener last Monday (after throwing myself at mercy of the HR person who I have asked questions of), and I was called by a P in that district on Friday to set up an interview for a 1st grade position tomorrow. School starts in three weeks.

I worked so hard on my portfolio! Even though the P for the school I spent my Professional Year in said point blank he has never looked at one in the interviewing process. I have had exactly one other interview for a teaching position, and I noticed during that one that several of my answers would have been enhanced by items in my portfolio.

Is there a graceful way to offer the portfolio while I answer a question? I was thinking that saying something along the lines of, "Oh, good question! Let me show you this item in my portfolio for you to look at while I talk. I think it highlights what I believe/teach/whatever..."

I also made up a brochure with some of my strong points, quotes from my letters of recommendation, lay out of my degrees and endorsement. I thought it might be something that I could offer to leave with the P at the end of the interview.

What do more experienced people think?
    Sheilah

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

This is what I did when I interviewed. I was able to say, "Yes, I aligned all of my lessons to the X standards" while pointing to that part of my lesson plans. When talking about how I love the creative aspect of teaching, I slowly flipped through the color 6-slides-to-a-page printouts of my PowerPoints. The P later told me that my portfolio was a major plus!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I have never - in 40+ interviews- been asked to show someone my portfolio.
    I always worked it in. They ask about data? I whip out my data binder and one of my student's personal data folders. Lesson planning? I show a sample.
    Once they see it, some (maybe 10-20%) will continue to flip through it on their own.

5. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 4, 2013

I've been to three interviews in the three years I've been looking for a job. Never once has a principal asked to look at my portfolio even though I had it with me.

During the last interview I had, when the principal asked me if I had anything else I'd like to add with our remaining time, I finally got the courage to let her flip through my portfolio. When she landed on pages that had topics I hadn't mentioned or ones that I wanted to elaborate on, I made sure to mention my stance and give examples that were in the portfolio. It didn't help me get the job, but I think it helped me stand out a little bit.

I think offering examples to back up your anecdotes is a good idea, especially if you have student work samples.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I agree with your strategy.

I have a first grade interview tomorrow, too! Wishing us both luck and some positive news to report!!!!

Good luck!!!!

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Yay!!! Good luck on your interview!!
    Sheilah

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Although I have applied to five districts and countless charters in the past five months, I have only had one actual interview. Although I had my portfolio with me, I could never find the "right moment" to pull it out.

But in looking back on that experience, I sure could have used it to highlight at least some of my answers. So, we'll see how well I do using it tomorrow.
    Sheilah

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

I hope that you rock your interview tomorrow!:thumb:

I appreciated your post, because I'm also taking in a mini-portfolio for the first time ever tomorrow and Thursday. Both interviews are for positions that I have a lot of experience in and wanted to provide a visual for some of those skills.

Take care! Good luck to all those with interviews on the horizon! :)

10. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Update-I Used My Portfolio!!!

Although I was tempted to say something along the lines of having worked too hard on the darn thing to never use it as a resource, I was much smoother than that!

I was interviewed by the two other first grade teachers and the P. It went pretty good. I am happy with my responses (except for one, which I bombed so hard I hit the ground harder than a safe) and I believe I did my best. The two teachers did not look at my portfolio, but they both took a brochure I offered that had highlights of my portfolio. The P looked through my portfolio, though, and I was able to reference two artifacts in it in my answers. I very smoothly displayed a photo I had to aid in describing how I integrated parents into my classroom, and the P actually commented that she had seen my mention of using Eagle Cam in my classroom in the portfolio when I referenced that in an answer. So she was paying at least a little attention!

Tons of competition for this opening. I was in the lobby as the interviewee before me left and they already had an interviewee waiting to go in as I was leaving. A moment of awkwardness there, since I know and really like the woman who was waiting to go in. I wished her good luck and meant it, and gave her a hug. I want to be offered the position, but if I can't have it, she would be a good choice. I also know for a fact that she has accepted a .5 kinder position in another district, but had said she would continue to look for a full time position in the mean time. That was on Facebook before my bitterness at being the only one left without a job caused me to disconnect from it.

Anyway, the wait begins again. Still looking. Still applying for non-teaching jobs.
    Sheilah

11. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

If I am asked a question that is pertinent to anything I have in my binder, I pull the appropriate document out and pass it around as an example as I talk. I've never had anyone ask to see my stuff outside the context of normal questions, though.