Gr. 1 writing lesson?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by PinkLily, May 8, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

May 8, 2010

Over the past few months, it has become quite evident that the students, in one of our grade one classes, are well behind where they should be. It is also quite evident that the students are falling behind because their teacher does not know how to effectively teach reading and writing.

This year, one of my roles in the school is to do some coaching with the teachers. Starting next week, I will be working in this particular grade one class, once a week, to help improve their writing. Since there are only seven weeks left of school, I want to make the most of my time in the class. Does anyone have any good ideas for a writing lesson/activity that I could model for this teacher and her class?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 8, 2010

First off--is there any way you could spend more than one day each week in this class? It sounds like 7 sessions (you said there are only 7 weeks of school left) won't be nearly enough, especially since the children are so far behind.

Is there any way that you (or a member of administration) can cover this teacher's class while she observes other teachers teaching reading and writing?

5. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

May 9, 2010

Thanks for the links, czacza!

YTG - I know that seven sessions with this class isn't nearly enough, unfortunately it's all the time that I have available as I also have a classroom of my own. Thankfully, another teacher is going several times a week to help this class with their reading and we also have a team that will help with guided reading groups twice a week. Unfortunately, even with all this help, I think that many of these students are still going to be well behind where they should be at the end of the year. :(

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 9, 2010

Yikes! I didn't realize you had your own classroom, PinkLily!

Well, I have to commend you for taking time to work with her during the last few weeks of school!!! :thumb:

P.S. Will the teacher be returning next school year? If so, will she receive some extra coaching?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

Was that a new teacher? What support did s/he receive?