GPA Worries

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MassNerder, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I'm worried about my GPA creating problems for me as I look for a teaching position. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.72 and my Graduate GPA is 3.67. I'm worried because most people usually have a higher Graduate GPA. I had all A's and one A- during my graduate work and then I received a C in one class which brought me way down. I'm afraid schools are going to see I have a lower Graduate GPA and may think my abilities are heading downhill. I'm also afraid that a 3.67 GPA isn't high enough, considering most people I know have a 4.0 or close to it for their Masters. Can anyone tell me if I'm completely doomed here?

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

I'm not sure it matters. Granted I don't have a Maters, but I know a few people w/bachelors degrees that have gotten hired, and their grades weren't as good as yours. I think GPA is a very small part of getting a job. I think how you sell yourself in an interview means way more.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2008

Don't put your GPA on your resume.

5. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

It's true I don't have to put my graduate GPA on my resume but schools still ask for transcripts. It's something that will be discovered eventually.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

I haven't even been asked what my GPA was in college or grad school. I think that once they hire you they look at your transcript but if it's good, it's no problem.

7. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I don't think that your GPA really matters that much (as long as isn't absolutely terrible)...I figure that transcripts are only required for proof that you actually attended and completed the college and graduate school that you list on your application and resume.

8. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Does anyone seem to think that this GPA would be considered low?

9. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I don't think either one of your GPAs are low at all.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

Don't even worry about your GPA. They want to see your transcripts so they know you've earned a Bachelor's degree.

11. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I do not think your GPA is low.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

It's not low at all!

But that's something I'm worried about also. I just finished my first class for my masters. Not one time, even now when the class is over-did the teacher post one grade. I have no clue what my grade is going to be. I received absolutely no feedback. If I get lower than an A I will be really upset because I was never told I needed to change anything. So I can see why you would be upset, but your GPA is not even remotely low. Don't worry!

13. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Not only do I not believe that GPA to be low but, given the number of very talented people who were coming through the courses part of my Physics graduate program (in a reputable research university) with GPAs in the low 3.x's, I suspect the original poster is aware it isn't really low.

14. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Think about it this way--if your GPA was that low I'm sure by now the advisors at your college would be discussing with you different career opportunities.

I know plenty of people whose GPA was a solid 2.5 (the bare minimum gpa to teach) when they received their bachelors degree and that didn't make or break their job.

You have a great GPA and nothing to worry about.

15. MassNerder

MassNerder Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Be careful FarFromHome, that's how I earned a C. I basically went through the same thing. It was a month long summer course that met twice a week and half of the time the professor wasn't there and had us post work online. I was never told a grade the whole time, even though I inquired about my standing several times. To my surprise when my grade was finally posted it was very upsetting. So be careful and good luck!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I guess I'm just worried because the job market is so competitive right now and I don't want anything to stand in the way of fulfilling my dream of becoming a great teacher.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I don't think your GPAs are low! And I've never been asked for transcripts until after I was offered the job.

17. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

The job market is competitive yes, but they care so much more about your other qualifications than your GPA. Besides, as everyone else mentioned, yours is fine!

I just checked my undergrad (all I have at the moment) GPA was 3.62. I sent out about 80 resumes (about average or less than average for the group i graduated with, and I did have GPA on the resume) and got hired on my second interview.

18. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

Neither are low.

19. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

Forget About IT! 1) I don't think your average is low.
    2) I don't know of anyone who was given a teaching position based on their GPA in college.
    3) I am on our teacher interview committee at my school and we have never looked at an applicant's GPA when deciding on their ability to fit into our school.
    Good Luck!

20. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Like a PP said, don't write down your GPA if you are concerned. When I received my job, they only asked for me to send my official transcript AFTER I was given the job. The main reason they ask for the transcript is to validate completion of degree and salary scales.