GPA question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by xTeacherManX, Sep 2, 2008.

1. xTeacherManX

xTeacherManX Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I figured I would save this question for the professionals that are already teaching who hopefully have some experience with this sort of thing.

I recently graduated with my Masters in Childhood Education. Prior to my Masters I had a Bachelors in English. My concern is my gpa for my Masters and my transcript. My overall gpa was a 3.67 in which I recieved grades of a C and an A-. The rest of my classes I earned A's. I was worried if either my GPA or either of these grades will prevent me from finding a job. I worked hard in Graduate School but personal circumstances caused me to faulter some. Is a 3.67 gpa for a Masters low? I know most people seem to earn a 4.0 or close to it for their Masters. I would appreciate any feedback or opinions, especially from those who might have had similar experiences. Thanks in advance.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I know of too many people teaching with a 2.5 undergraduate GPA.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

You don't have to put your GPA on your resume...It's advisable not to if you don't have in the 4.o range...

5. xTeacherManX

xTeacherManX Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I understand that but they'll still need a copy of my transcripts once I get hired and some online applications ask you for your gpa.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 2, 2008

I don't think it is anything to worry about ...

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 2, 2008

You've got my same degrees!

As someone who does hiring, I can tell you I rarely look at grades as long as someone has the degree. I do take note when there are lots of Ws. That's a red flag. Finishing with one C is not a big deal. Nothing to worry about.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2008

Once you're hired it doesn't matter. If the application asks for it, be truthful.

9. xTeacherManX

xTeacherManX Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for help everyone. This is something that I've been really worried about. So the one A- on top of a C shouldn't pose a threat either? I'm sorry if I'm overanalyzing here. I just don't want grades to get in the way of my dreams to teach. I worked hard and I admit I've made mistakes but I still have all the motivation and desire to be a great teacher.

10. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Sep 3, 2008

When I interviewed for my current position they asked nothing of which I completed as an undergraduate. They only looked for the certificate. I also did not have to send my transcripts to the district. I suppose its different everywhere.

I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck though

11. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Sep 4, 2008

When I participated in a forum helping student teachers look for jobs, many HR people from districts said NOT to put a 4.0 on your resume...too many principals think that someone with a 4.0 will not be flexible or able to relate with struggling kids. So, your GPA looks great.