GPA and Job Seeking in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by musicalsteve82, Nov 24, 2011.

1. musicalsteve82

musicalsteve82 New Member

Nov 24, 2011

I am about to receive certification in elementary ed. My undergrad GPA was only 2.75, but my post-bacclaurate GPA is 3.64. I was wondering what would happen when I go job searching. Will they care about my undergrade (which was not in education) or will they just mainly focus on the 3.64 in Elementary ed? I really don't want to be denied a job based on 10-year-old grades.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2011

In my experience, school districts don't care about GPAs at all.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2011

I wouldn't list the undergrad GPA on your resume.

My district does look at GPAs and transcripts, and considers the quality of the school attended.

5. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 24, 2011

The most recent GPA is the one that stands.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 24, 2011

Since you have to send in copies of your original transcripts when you apply for jobs, I don't know how you can hide your G.P.A. from them, as "czacza" suggests.

In the end, it all depends upon whether they are looking for a reason to hire you or a reason to disqualify you as a candidate for a position.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 25, 2011

czacza is simply saying not to list the undergrad GPA

i.e. list B.A. in History from Blah University, Class of 2001 and then M.Ed in Elementary Education from University Q, Class of 2011 GPA: 3.64

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2011

Thanks, bros. Not quite sure why 'reality check' would imply i meant to hide anything. I also stated that transcripts are usually required, so there is no hiding. Resumes, however, are for putting your best foot forward and getting the interview. :)

9. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Nov 25, 2011

The problem is saturation, anyway.

If there are 100 applicants, and ten have the same credentials you have, GPA will be more significant than it would otherwise be.

I agree that it could be a rule-out, but it could also be a deciding factor between you and someone with a 3.5 undergrad GPA and a 4.0 grad GPA.

10. musicalsteve82

musicalsteve82 New Member

Nov 25, 2011

But my 2.75 GPA was a major in music with an outside field in history. Nothing to do with elementary education. Now, my post bac gpa is currently 3.64. If I get an A on my three remaining courses, it could go up above 3.7. Is this to mean quite a few, if not most, schools in PA would throw my resume away soley for my bad experience as an undergrad?:help:

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 25, 2011

No, they wouldn't necessarily throw it out just on the GPA. But as stated, don't list it on your resume so that way it won't jump out.

What you do need to do though to increase your chances of an elementary job in PA is to get some very good experience on your resume. Volunteer work, tutoring, youth church group leader, anything at all that can boost your resume. The job market in PA for elementary is extremely tough, as in probably 500-1000 applicants for any job listed on PA Reap. In a district I was a LTS at four years ago I spoke to someone in HR and they had 2,300 applicants for 4 open positions.

12. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Nov 25, 2011

Steve, it's not so much that anyone would hold it against you as that given the choice between a candidate with the same credential, experience, etc. and you - they might choose the other guy if he had better grades.

I don't think anyone thinks low grades ten years ago are a deal-killer. But it's a very, very competitive market. In that environment, anything that distinguishes among candidates becomes a factor.

13. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Nov 26, 2011

If it helps, I have a BA in an unrelated field (graduated 10 years ago w/ 2.75) and my education BA was 3.94. I got a contract job the year after I graduated (spent a year as a para). So it can happen! :) And I also live in PA.