GPA and hiring practices

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 10, 2009

My husband and I are having this discussion. I think a GPA does matter to an employer. For example, a 4.0 would make me a more desirable candidate than someone who has a lesser GPA in college. Thus I strive hard to make all A's in my masters classes because I want that 4.0. My husband thinks I work too hard :rolleyes: and should just go with the flow.

So, do you think it matters to an employer what my GPA is?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

I don't think it matters too much. I think an employer is going to go for those candidates that fit best with what is going on in the school and not really about how well (or not so well) they did in school. However, I'm still trying to maintain my 4.0 in my masters because I think it looks great! :)

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 10, 2009

I agree with STG--I don't think it matters much. However, I wanted that 4.0 when I was in graduate school too and did everything to keep it. When I was writing my resume I did have my TExES scores listed but a former P told me it didn't matter--all they cared about was whether or not I passed.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2009

I think that in most districts it doesn't matter, but there are a few that separate candidates based on gpa.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

I actually think it should matter in any job except teaching.

Why?

Because I think a person who struggled in, or did not really like, school can give a perspective and has a certain empathy that might be lacking in a person who was always successful in school and always viewed it positively.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

tb~I never put my TeXes scores on my resume. That would be a lot of numbers!

8. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

No one around here really cares.

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I don't think it matters if your GPA is 3 point something. Anything less and you start to stand out for the wrong reasons, which is if the admin. look at your transcripts carefully or you're silly enough to put that kind of GPA on your resume. Eek!

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 10, 2009

I have been on several interview teams. The candidates were never chosen because or over another because of GPA. There are so many other factors into getting an interview, experience, connections, putting your face out there...GPA is just a nice little detail as part of a bigger picture.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 10, 2009

It can definitely earn a second look at your resume in my district if your GPA is extremely high. It wouldn't be the deciding factor, but it might give you an interview over someone else.

12. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 10, 2009

I have never put my gpa or test scores on my resume and have never been asked about them either. So I don't think it's a very big factor in hiring but I did still work to achieve A's during school for my own self.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 10, 2009

GPA, so long as it isn't incredibly low, has nothing to do with any of the hiring processes I've been a part of. We simply don't care. Most teachers are incredibly booksmart, so it is really a non-issue.

We also don't care about PRAXIS scores -- so long as you passed.

Now, I can honestly tell you we didn't hire one candidate because she was so obsessed with her high GPA and high PRAXIS scores. It was all over her resume, her application, and she mentioned it several times in during the interview. She really came across as arrogant -- without meaning to be. You have to be very careful of that.

Just remember that if you (the universal you, not the OP specifically) are boasting about your high PRAXIS scores, that you may be being interviewed by someone who just barely passed. Same thing with GPA. How do you know that the interviewer didn't barely squeek by?

I would say to focus on the qualities and gifts you can bring to teaching, rather than high test and class scores.

Just my opinion...

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2009

When I've looked through applications prior to interviews, I have noticed GPAs. Yet, as long as it's not below 3.0 I don't think there is an issue, and I really don't think a 4.0 would get that many "bonus points". Something our team always looks at are the grades in the subjects the candidate would be teaching. If one had a B average in his math courses yet seeks to teach math, that does seem odd.

That said, like others, I too strived for good grades. I graduated Magna Cum Laude as an undergraduate and my Master's and Rank I were both 4.0s. It was just for me, and for the record my husband also told me to chill out. :)

15. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Being a good student does not equal being a good teacher. It might make a difference to you, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker by any means.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

It mattered to ME-- I always liked school and wanted to do well.

But I don't think it mattered to employers.

17. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jun 10, 2009

I managed to have a high GPA when graduating school. But it is funny I was hired by a district that is usually the last place people go, it was for me but the best choice I have made, anyway we had to have a portfolio and I showed it to the P, she commented on my PRAXIS scores (the test was to be included in the portfolio) she then asked me how many times I took the test, which I relied once. That highly impressed her. I still tell about it I think it is funny

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2009

In Florida, the only thing that matters is that you have at least a 3.0 in your subject matter. I never put my GPA on my resume; no one's ever asked in an interview; and honestly, I don't think it's my employer's business. As long as I have a degree from an accredited school AND I qualified for a certificate/license in my state, they don't need to know that my math, science, and FL grades brought my GPA down :(

To be fair, if I *did* have an awesome GPA - 3.5 or above - I'd probably put it on there, but not mention it during interviews.

19. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

I don't think it really matters.. A 4.0 GPA doesn't mean teaching is going to be a good fit for someone. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA and I got a job just as quickly as my friend who had a 4.0. She was a mess during school if she thought she was going to get a B in a class...It made me crazy. This year was our first year as teaching and unfortunately, they did not renew her contract and it wasn't because of the economy..She had a rough year. :(

20. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I completely agree, Sarge!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well put!!!!!!!!!!!!I struggled in Math and it's one of my favorite things to teach. Other than that I did well in school, so I try my best to help children love school and crave learning.

21. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 12, 2009

I think we've all concluded that the GPA is not as important to the interviewers at is to us--but why not use that great 4.0 GPA to get some good references or letters from the profs??

22. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 12, 2009

I included mine, a 3.6, when I was interviewing but it was because I was interviewing straight out of college and had no in field experience. I can say that it helped me get my job though. The district I signed with gave me a job before I graduated or even finished taking my certification exams (I'd only taken 1 out of 3), I went to sign my contract and I expressed my concern about what would happen if I didn't pass the other two and they told me "with your GPA, we don't expect that to be a problem". This was the head of human resources I was talking to! So I know they considered my GPA in hiring me.