Government Textbook

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.History, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

Before you even say it, YES I am aware that they are all garbage. I am also aware that the best resource is the Constitution; thank you. : )

However, I must order a new series for my Government class. I have a very deep DEEP dislike for Magruders, but it's the only series that I am familiar with.

Does anybody have any suggestions or other series that they are at least familiar with? I feel like I am just running blind here, and it's hard to really know which one will be adequate. I have acquired several of the sample kits, but it just seems so hard to get a real feel for them.

Any feedback is much appreciated, positive or negative, even if it's about the text you yourself used in High School.

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

We use glencoe in our middle school history classes. I am enjoying this series for the most part...but I don't teach strictly out of the text. I enjoy all the extras that they have (both student and teacher).

You might consider the government text...never seen it, so I'm not sure how good it is...

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 10, 2010

We have introduced AP US Gov this year and we use O'Brien's government by the people. It's a pretty good textbook, but I don't know about the extras. I use none of them.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 12, 2010

We've used Holt and it's decent enough.

6. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 12, 2010

Check out Magruder's American Government. Several I know use this one.

7. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

Personally, I've taught government and have actually used "college" level texts that would normally be found in AP courses. If you read them, you quickly realize they're adaptable for regular classes as well. We use American Government by DiIulio. I've taught with the book and can attest to its easy read, great examples and easy-to-understand format. However, he does have a slightly conservative edge. (The version we used actually said that global warming cannot be given much weight yet... however, I'm sure this has changed in newer editions.)

Also, we use AMSCO's Government "textbook." It's more of a review book.

When I taught gov, the main topics I liked to spend time on were the role of interest groups and PACs, the importance/influence of the media, and the actual beliefs of each party. Other teachers focused more on the role the Constitution plays in politics and government but I feel it's repetitive since we cover that in U.S. History. Additionally, I do an entire unit on landmark Supreme Court cases that weren't covered in U.S. History. I felt DiIulio's book lent itself well to my class. (However, the book naturally doesn't have sections within the chapters so I also felt that was a plus since only two months after my course finished, these kids would be entering college where those books don't have graphics that take up the whole page and each section is only 5 pages.)

8. matt

matt New Member

Dec 20, 2010

TCI's "Government Alive!" is a fantastic book. It is accessible to all students, includes a great student notebook to go along with it (where students interact with the text, not just take rote notes), and has GREAT activity ideas. We did mock trials, debates, Constitution scavenger hunts, etc. If you look on TCI's website (can't post link), they will let you download a sample chapter and activity. Best of luck in your search! Let us know what you buy?