Government shutdown

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 1, 2013.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Fine, I will say it for all to see.

There have been others that have had negative tones or passive-aggressive posts that hold your belief, yet you didn't call them out. Seems that around here, those that don't hold the "right" view will get called out when others don't.

JerseyGirl's post was passive aggressive using a child's PS announcement to indicate I wasn't smart enough to know the law that even a child was capable of learning. The fact is, there is no law that is unchangeable. It isn't done and over like she tried to state. Maybe School House rock portrayed it that way which is why I did tell her to educate herself. The fact is, even the Bill of Rights is amendable with a procedure and sufficient votes. So, saying that ACA better known as ObamaCare is done and over because they got the votes and the president signed it into law is inaccurate.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2013

Read what I just posted, please, a2z, and recall that I'm a moderator.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

I apologize that I had a post after your comment, however, I was in the process of creating my post when you posted. They overlapped, and your post was not there when I started responding to Bison.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

A lot of people will be affected, even if it just continues for a few more days... People who have lost an income are going to tighten their spending belts and not go out and buy. This will impact local businesses. And when the government finally does turn itself around, it will take time to retroactive the pay that was lost during this shutdown.

And as a person who is directly affected by this, it IS about emotion...and not just hype.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 2, 2013

I just hope that people will remember things like this when the next midterm election comes around.

In other news, the Giants lost 7-31 on Sunday and they are now petitioning the NFL to give them 25 more points or they're going to shut down the government.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 2, 2013

LOL. I love Jon Stewart too! :lol:

A2Z - I apologize if I came off as passive aggressive. My intent was only to illustrate what I believe (and you do not) to be pretty cut and dry.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

:lol:

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 2, 2013

I don't expect to be affected by the shutdown in any significant way.

As for previous shutdowns, there have actually been several. The most accurate statement I've read about all the shutdowns is that every one has occurred because both sides eventually reached a point where they were no longer willing to compromise or negotiate with the other.

If you look over the list, you will see both sides have contributed to them for different reasons, so neither side has an exclusive right to moral high-ground on the issue.

Government shutdowns in the United States

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 2, 2013

My family will be directly impacted.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 2, 2013

My friends brother works in border patrol in Arizona. He has to go to work, but has been told they will not be paid until this is all over. The HR department that cuts the checks is furloughed.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 2, 2013

My father's wife is out of work during the shutdown. They're assuming she'll get her pay when the shutdown is over, though, so she's viewing it as a paid vacation. :p

12. Ms.TeacherLady

Ms.TeacherLady Rookie

Oct 3, 2013

I have family in CO and they own rental property near Rocky Mountain National Park. Their rental lies in the path of the floods the past few weeks (very little damage, luckily). The two major roads into town are completely washed out. There are 2 other ways in... one of which goes through Rocky Mountain National Park. The entire town is almost completely cut off. There goes almost all small businesses in town. Most are closing now, especially since the government shut down has closed the last main thoroughfare.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 3, 2013

There is a major AF base here, plus two Army depots in the area. 100% of my students will have less to eat at home, especially if this continues more than a few days, as the SNAP (food stamp) services will be cut off here (I've read that other states may cover the cost for a while, but our wonderful gonerver is refusing). My students also receive most of their medical care through Medicaid. My dad & stepmom are on Medicare, which they are afraid will be affected. He is also eligible for VA benefits at the local VA hospital, but they are cutting services. My grandson, because of allergies, is on a VERY expensive formula, and my daughter will not receive WIC after the 15th. I'm beginning to worry what will happen with Title I funds, too.... I think it reflects badly on ALL involved.