Government shutdown

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 1, 2013

I always thought a government shutdown was a joke, more like a scare tactic. The government wouldn't really let anything like that happen...they'd put aside their differences at the final hour. Then I found out it DID happen, back in 1996(?) and somehow I missed it or had forgotten. So, as you know, the government has shut down again. Will this have any direct impact on you until it's resolved?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Taking individual issues out of the discussion, these elected officials are being paid to come up with a budget, and have failed to do so.

I think that, as long as a single government employee goes without a paycheck, members of Congress should as well.

As to me, no it won't have any direct impact on my family. But it wil have a very direct impact on many, many American families.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

I wondered where I was that time too-because I don't remember that. It's actually happened several times before.

I also thought they should have been able to come up with a compromise before it getting to this point-that's their job description. They are always talking about jobs-and here they are having no problem taking away paychecks from thousands of people.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

Congress will go without a paycheck until after the budget is resolved.

But they are guaranteed to be paid immediately after, as they declared themselves essential employees.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

I have very strong political opinions on this matter... but I'd rather not use this forum to express them. I'll just say I shouldn't be directly affected, and leave it at that.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

You missed it because for most people it really doesn't have much impact. If you aren't a federal government employee or some specific contractors for the federal government, you will still get paid and still pay taxes (that portion hasn't shut down!).

Unless you are getting a passport or federal loan of some type or going to see the Smithsonian, much of what you will experience is nothing but media buzz.

The reality is, many things are essential. These essential services will still happen. That is why it is missed or not remembered years on. The media makes it a big deal and most likely the shutdown won't last so long that it will have long lasting implications.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2013

Nope--Congress and the President are considered essential services and will get paid even during a government shutdown. We have a good friend in congress.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Our income has just been cut in half until further notice.

Fortunately, we saved in preparation for the shut down so we will be ok for a while.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

We have an Air Force base to the west and a DoD supply center to the east of where I live. Not only will those directly employed lose pay, so will the businesses around them who support them and their families.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 1, 2013

Is this correct?
    I thought they continued to be paid.
    I did hear some are offering to give their pay to a charity during the shutdown.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

The President, Congress, and Supreme Court will continue to receive pay. Constitutionally, they are essential. It is up to individuals whether they decide to accept or refuse their checks.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

I don't remember them shutting down in 1996 either.....

I assume that the President and Congress will still get paid. There is a picture of a letter going around my Facebook where a Congresswoman is refusing her pay while the gov shutdown is ongoing.

My ex is a fed employee and while he still has to go to work today, he is not getting paid and that is affecting when he can send child support. I find it ridiculous that our government can't come to agreement to stop from shutting down.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 1, 2013

Just saw this Twitter update from my friend trying to open a new hot dog restaurant: "Gov't shutdown=SBA can't fund [restaurant name] equipment loan. No steamers=no hot dogs. And no 35 new jobs."

She specifically chose to open this place where they are in desperate need of new jobs. This is going to hurt a LOT of people, many indirectly.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2013

Our 8th grade class is supposed to go on their trip to D.C. in 2 1/2 weeks. The S.S. teacher is getting nervous. No, it's not the same as the families who are affected by the loss of pay, etc., but our rural farm kids look forward to this trip for years. For many, it is their first time traveling out of the state, flying on an airplane, etc. They also do a lot of research on the different monuments and things. It will be very disappointing and disheartening to them if they do not get to see these things they have been learning about.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2013

We're only partially affected.

I don't want this to turn into a political discussion, but I'll echo others: our elected officials are getting paid to do a specific job, and they didn't. And they are continuing to get paid for not doing what we elected them to do, while many others will be going without.

17. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 1, 2013

Yes, I have 2 immediate family members with government jobs who are affected. And one of them already lost several days' pay due to furloughs within the past few months. He is hoping that they will at least get back pay this time when the shutdown ends (that is what happened back in '96).

18. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 1, 2013

I have very strong political views and have a very strong opinion on this but, like everyone else, I'll keep it to myself. I will only say that I'm old enough to remember a time when we weren't so divided as a country and it saddens me that it has come to this - where the divide is so great that government can no longer function.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

I was just speaking to a friend whose husband works for Homeland Security.

He's not allowed to miss a shift or call in sick.

But he won't be paid until this is over.

Did I mention that they have 2 kids???

Apparently he's essential enough that he needs to report to work, just not essential enough to ensure that his kids have food on the table.

20. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 1, 2013

Now I am more conservative that MOST Republicans, I'm very far right on social issues and agree with fiscal conservatism, which is why I'm affiliated with the party. With that said, while I acknowledge that Obamacare will put a huge huge burden on our already exploding financial crisis---I've totally had it with what a large number of people in my party are doing in Washington. Let it pass and one of two things will happen: it fail miserably and it will eventually be done away with OR it might actually be successful, and that's a good thing. I'm just so sick of it already--I'm really into politics and watch commentary news programs all the time and I'm about to throw up because it's the same thing over and over and over again. Let's move on. Let it get funded and see what happens.

And what's wrong with this picture? People in Homeland Security must report everyday without pay while trying to support a family, and the wannabe rock star featured on the news doesn't work by CHOICE (even though he is able) and collects welfare. Unreal. Absolutely and totally unreal.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Alice~my ex works for Homeland Security too and he's required to go in and work with no pay. He did say that he will be reimbursed for the days that the gov is shut down. Hopefully it won't last long.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

The media "makes a big deal" about it because it is a "big deal". Our government, in part, has ceased to function. That's huge. An insane number of people are impacted by this. It's not just, "Oh, sorry, you can't Smithsonian" and to think so makes light of an issue that has already complicated many people's lives.

I am only slightly affected, thankfully.

23. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

An insane number of people are impacted? Please cite your source defining that insane amount in relation to the population of this country and how badly they are being impacted.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Cite my source? Come on. Obviously a lot of people are impacted. Way too many. Obviously you don't think so, but I do. I look around at just my community and see what has shut down. I think for a moment and realize how even a week (or shorter) shutdown can set off an unfortunate series of events for some families. People who seriously just think, "Eh, I can't visit the museum today," are not at all appreciating the full implications of this decision.

25. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

Again, all you are giving is emotional hype. Just subjective terms to describe too many. Sure 1 is too many if you think zero is the right amount.

I ask how, you don't give examples of that either. So, how are the insane number of people being impacted to the point where it is terrible and so life altering that they will look back in almost 20 years and remember the days that the government shutdown changed their lives.

Yes, there will be some. But I would not say that would be an insane amount. Most will forget rather quickly and it won't be a stain on their memories.

Emotional hype, just like the news.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2013

It's really as simple as our government, in part, has shut down. That's a big deal to me. Obviously not to you, which is fine.

But you really don't see how people are impacted? Have you not read the thread? There a couple examples already shared. There are too many possible situations to start a list. And to be honest, and I admit this is probably a bad attitude on my part, but I have difficulty communicating with you because of your attitude...if you want to chalk this up to emotional hype, so be it. I'm not writing a report and citing sources to defend to what I know to be true because you tell me to.

The word insane...that's obviously my opinion.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

This is such a strange concept to me: how can a government shut down??
    As far as who's going to be affected, I think a lot more people (indirectly) than we're thinking of right now.
    I don't know a whole lot about economic issues and trends, but I do know is that if you mess with one aspect, all others will be affected, kind of like the domino affect. The stock market will be negatively affected because people will lose faith and invest less. In return interest rates may rise, inflation, etc.
    On a smaller scale, those people who lose pay (even if they get reimbursed later) will spend less, so those people who rely on their money will earn less, and then in return spend less, and on and on.
    This is more noticeable in smaller communities, but it's present everywhere. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on and everything will get back to normal.

28. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2013

Luckily my husband will still be paid. But all of the commissaries on every military base shut down, so all of those people are out of jobs. It also means we don't have a place to buy groceries for a reasonable amount now since we're in Hawaii.

29. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013

Well, I live in a Navy town with a lot of Department of Homeland Security employees, civilian employees of defense contractors, etc. In my class of 26, 5 are being directly impacted, not counting the indirect affects (rent not being paid to landlords, reduced spending in the community, savings being spent....). Lots of stress being expressed by parents who are scared!

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Right, Linguist...there are a thousand ways people are affected. Can you imagine showing up yesterday to a national park you traveled hundreds of miles to visit to find it closed? End of the world? No, but that could have been a trip a family saved a few years for and now it's been crapped all over. If you depend on WIC, and it seems half of people do around here, too bad. And so on and so on...

31. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

One of the almost a million people furloughed? Affected. New retiree? Affected. Home buyer or seller? Affected. Have a kid in Head Start? Affected. Are you a teacher that will eventually teach current Head Starters? Affected. Sick? Affected. Are you planning on going to any national park, monument, federal building, Library of Congress building, etc. in the near future? Affected. Live in DC? You'll be affected hard if this goes beyond next week. College student applying for student loans? Affected. Small business owner? Affected.

But you're right, it's not that many people.

32. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

But the thing is, this won't drag on for months or years. In relation to those affected by the downturn of the economy or the millions of people that will be fined or have to buy expensive insurance when they really don't need it, those that have to pay taxes on medical devices so the government can have their piece of the pie thanks to ACA which is one of the reasons Harry wouldn't consider approving what the house sent to the senate, the people that are going to be taxed very high because their medical plan is higher than the government wants, those that will not get a pass this year like all of the other people that are somehow getting a waiver even though the law doesn't allow for a waiver and the president has decided that certain people get a pass....

Compared to all of those people being impacted by the ACA law, no, I don't see that the impact from the short government shutdown is going to be a detrimental to people as SOME of the things in ACA.

Oh, and let's not forget how that 17 trillion dollar deficit will impact everyone if spending doesn't somehow get in control.

Yep. I'm a horrible person because people might be inconvenienced a bit. Yes, some will be terribly impacted, but most will be not much more than inconvenienced for a short while instead of for decades.

33. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

17 trillion dollar debt, not deficit.

Also, you misunderstood my post. I wasn't trying to say it was going to be some catastrophe for all Americans... merely pointing out that you saying it wouldn't affect many people is not accurate.

34. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 2, 2013

As a layman (I don't know the operations of the government, admittedly) --- I find this embarrassing.

In other countries, citizens are turning on their TVs to see: "In world news tonight, the United States government has 'shut down'."

Of course, that humiliation pales next to the impact this is having on many families (and I'm not speaking of those who weren't able to get into Yellowstone. They'll get over that. I'm speaking of those who are going to have a halt in their income). I can't imagine worrying about when I'll see my next paycheck. My heart goes out to the federal employees.

In addition, to know that our government may be a laughing stock in other nations, is disheartening.

At least in my humble opinion.

35. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

You are right. Debt. My apologies.

36. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 2, 2013

I thought we weren't supposed to debate politics????

Facts about the ACA:

Was it approved by congress? YES
    Was it signed by the president? YES
    Was it upheld by the Supreme Court? YES

Whether you like it or not, it's law. It's over. If we want to change the law as a country, it is voted on in Congress, approved, and signed by the President. We do not shut down our government and threaten our economy because we don't like a law. That is not how it works in America. I could provide a link to "How a Bill Becomes a Law" from Schoolhouse Rock but that would be unnecessary I think.

By the way, our deficit is shrinking faster than it has at any time in the past 60 years. Therefore, it is misleading to suggest that we have a deficit problem.

37. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

I think you need to educate yourself a bit more about what is going on. The government isn't shutdown because someone just said let's shut it down. It is shut down because there is no compromise on bills between the house and the senate. That is School House Rock in action, just that we are stuck on the bill that funds the government.

And by the way, both senate and house, republicans and democrats, have been tacking things onto bills that have no relation to the issue at hand for a long, long time. So, this really isn't any different.

The government shutdown of 1996 actually had some really good things come out of it. The house and senate were at an impasse over some issues and the appropriations bill was used as a tool to get negotiations started again. So, this isn't unprecedented. Welfare reform was one of the things that came out of the last large government shutdown.

38. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 2, 2013

This. A last minute budget approval is NOT the place to be adding controversial provisions, especially when you know it will likely it result in a government shutdown. I fear we'll face a similar issue later this month when the debt ceiling debates begin.

Edit: a2z, we have been doing really well and discussing this respectfully. Please watch the way your tone comes across so we can continue. :)

39. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Why not? You don't think that Harry would take it up any other way? By not doing anything when you honestly believe something is very harmful if it eventually is implemented, it is no different than watching a horrible event unfold and not lifting a finger to stop it.

40. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 2, 2013

Sending me an angry PM about mentioning your tone? Classy. I meant it as a gentle reminder, no need to freak out. This is why we don't discuss politics. I'm saying goodbye to this thread. :)

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 2, 2013

bison's warning is mildly misstated but very timely. Political discussions are not allowed on A to Z because they've reliably degenerated into partisan finger-pointing.

The topic of the thread is the extent to which people are affected by the government shutdown. Let's get back to that, please.