Gotta Say Bye to Kitty

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Mable, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

My cat was diagnosed with an agressive cancer a few weeks ago. The vet gave her 3-6 months but it's going faster. She had been going outside to spend her days but I knew we were nearing the end when she came in the other evening and laid down- it was as though she wanted to be around us when she passed. But she hasn't. I've got to take her today- she won't go on her own and she's in a bad state. This is our third animal we've lost in 8 months. I had to put my basset down in December because of cancer, the shepherd passed on her own and now the cat. This is horrible.

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I understand. Our golden retriever passed three weeks ago from cancer. She was at home and was one week shy of her 15th birthday. I have been so upset, I couldn't even post about her on here. Our hearts our broken. We had her almost 15 years. She wasn't a pet, she was a memberof our family. She lived indoors, and my kids grew up with her. They don't remember never having her, until now. My husband is still very upset. He was the one who originallysaid we would never have a pet, and he ended up being so attached. It was good for him.

I feel your sadness and pain. I'm glad that in the end we didn't have to make the decision. She passed on her own. I admire your strength, and know that you are doing the best thing--out of love.
    It's amazing how much we love our animals. They love us unconditionally. You will be in my thoughts today.:hugs:

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

We lost our cat of 13 years, Lennon, two years ago in October. The vet came to our house to put him down. I think it was better for him, because going to the vet was always traumatic and we didn't want him to spend his last moments scared.

About five months later, this stray cat literally followed my students into our classroom. He stayed with us for a few days until my principal told I wasn't allowed to keep a cat in my room. He went to stay at the home of one of my students, but she couldn't keep him. After putting up notice around the neighborhood and a found cat ad in Craigslist and getting no responses, we decided to adopt him.

My wife is pretty sure that Lennon sent him to us, however.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. I had to have 2 dogs put to sleep within a couple months of each other. Then we got a brittany who was the greatest dog! My son for some reason wanted his own dog so he got a puppy. We took both in for shots and found out our brittany had heart blockages. She lived for 5 more months and died in her sleep on my bed during the night. I still cry about it. We now have an ausie mix and I swear our brittany is reincarnated into her.
    They become so much a part of our family. Good luck and thoughts for you today!

6. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I'm so sorry. Losing an animal companion is awful and losing more than one in a short time is just devastating. All you can do is just keep going a minute at a time, and in time it will start to get easier.

I lost my Henry-cat in March after he had been with me for four years. He slipped out the door in January and was gone for two months, although I searched every way I knew how. I found him dead on the road in March, less than a mile from home. I felt (and still feel) so hurt and bewildered as to why he left and why he didn't come home, since he was obviously in the area. I even saw him one night and stopped and called and searched in the dark for close to an hour, but he didn't come to me. I'll never know why he left and why he chose not to come home, and it upsets me that I'm angry with him as well as grieving for him.

I also lost my horse of twelve years to cancer in 2006. I had to make the decision to put him down and it was the most difficult thing I ever did, but it was the right thing to do. I didn't intend to get another horse, but I started taking riding lessons and the horse I rode weekly grew a bone tumor on his forehead. The school was ready to "throw him out," so I took him. He's healthy now, just a little bumpy. I think Sarge is right that our lost animals sometimes send us others to help us cope. Maybe your kitty will do the same.

If we can do anything, let us know. Just know that you are being a truly responsible and loving owner by making this hard decision for your kitty.

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2008

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry. Pets to me, are family members too, so I completely understand. As a child, I had to take 2 dogs to the shelter when my family moved. Then in my 20s, I had 2 cats that died of old age (mom & daughter cats). I now have a dog & I'd be very sad if something happened to him.

My thoughts are w/ you!

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

Mable, my thought will be with you today.

We have 2 puppers, it was my husband's idea ... but now I can't imagine my life without them. They are my furry children. Sometimes I get upset (almost mad) at my husband because it was his idea to get the dogs and now there will be a day that I lose these dogs, the thought is too painful.

Take care, Mable. We are here for you.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

We have decided that at this point in our lives (kids are 21 & 17) that we are not getting another dog. We are on the go to much now which would not be fair to the dog, and it is just too hard to lose them. We were blessed to have our golden retriever for almost 15 years, and she will always live in our hearts.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2008

I'm sorry as well that you have to make this decision. We had to with our dog we only had for 5 yrs. She had cancer in her digestive system pretty much. When the vet called to confirm that's what it was (we were thinking it might have been rawhide or something "caught" so they operated) & asked if he should just put her to sleep I hesitated before I said yes because she was my baby (we didn't have kids yet)! But I was so glad that she didn't have to suffer anymore. Plus like the others have said they must know something, because after losing her we found out a few months later I was pg!!! But there are days that I just think boy I wish she was around because she LOVED kids & our would have adored her!!!

(((((HUGS)))))

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

I'm so sorry Mable. I know I will soon have to make the same decision for my 12-year old dog. I can't even imagine life without her. I understand why loss of a pet is one of the top reasons people develop depression.

I really loved your story Sarge and the thought that our lost loved ones are sending another to us-I can just picture that cat following the kids into the room. I think with people we have so many different emotions that get tied up in how we feel about them - with pets it's just pure love - I think that's one of the reasons it's so difficult to lose them.

14. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

There is a great book called Dog Heaven and I think she has a Cat Heaven book by Cynthia Rylant. I've had it for over 10 years and this year was the first time I've read it all the way through. It's very much like the above rainbow bridge post.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

You're right- it did make me cry. But I've been crying ever since I made the appointment this morning. BTW, she left today at 11:45. It was peaceful and I knew she would be done with her suffering. I was able to take her body back home and bury her under her favorite tree this afternoon. I am saving space to plant something there in her honor.

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Sorry adventuresoJ, I didn't mean to double your post. I didn't read your post before I posted. Our thoughts went down the same path.

17. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for all of the kind words and thoughts. It means so much to know I'm not alone.

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

My toughts are with you! I lost my cat to cancer 6 years ago. He died in my daughters lap. Then in Jan. 07 we lost our shepherd to a brain tumor. we came home one evening and she did not know us. She had several bad seizures and we had to put her down. Now the 13 yr old beagle/basset hound is showing real bad problems with her hips and lungs so I don't know how much longer she will be with us.

((((Hugs))))) to you.

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Sorry to hear of this, I absolutely love all animals and hate to hear stories like this. Poor things. :(

Do you live near telephone wires or something? My husbands cousins live under telephone pole wires and 2 of their cats and 1 dog has died of cancer...we thought they might be related from the wires.

My Betta fish is about to go I fear. He means a lot to me cuz I got him for my bridal shower (he was part of the decor) and now he's listless and not eating. :(
    Also, my dog just turned 13 and she hasn't been doing too well for the past year. She has arthritis, bad skin, and is almost completely blind and deaf. When do you ever make a decision to put them to sleep if they don't have a life threatening illness? I just think its so hard for her to get by each day, my dad and others have asked if I am going to put her down. But I say no cuz she doesn't have a life threatening illness...but I dunno...

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Our family went through a fire and flood and all of the animals from that era died of cancer. We always wonder if it had to do with something from those events.

21. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I am so sorry Mable, I feel so ad for you and the rest of the people that have posted. My husband and I have two boxers. One is more or less a puupy, she is barely 2, and my other one is 10 +....She is getting up there, and I fear she will be leaving us sooner than later. I cry just thinking about it. She is an AMAZING dog, and we, too treat them as members of the family. You are in my prayers. God bless!

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

We had to put our 1st sheltie down after she got cancer. We made the decision after my, then 3 yr. old daughter, went to let the dog in & she didn't come in. It was awful. We'd had her about 7 yrs. Another pup from the same litter also had cancer.

We got a 2nd sheltie several months later. He would have strokes, walk like he was drunk & then come out of it. He didn't come out of the last one. We also put him down. That was on a Wednesday.

The following Saturday, I came home with a 4 wk. old puppy. We found out the following Wednesday that she had parvo. She had a 50/50 chance of making it. I couldn't put down 2 dogs in 1 week. Just couldn't do it. She made it.

2 1/2 yrs. later she is the biggest baby ever. She's my baby. It's going to be very hard when the time comes and we all know that with pets the time will come.

23. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

I thought I needed to add that the vet said the cancer my cat got (it was in her hind leg) was caused by her vaccination she received as a kitten. He said that it has been found that animals that got their vaccination in that spot develop cancer. Now, they do the vaccination elsewhere.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2008

^ Oh no, that's scary knowing that! My vet gives my dog his shots on the back/neck area.

25. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Mable, I'm so sorry for you.
    Last October 29th I lost the love of my life, my dog Sparky. He was my child, my spouse, my companion, my comforter. 10 months later, the hurt and emptiness is so very raw still. I could cry as I typed his name.
    It got slightly easier as I went through 'firsts' without him. The first grocery day without him, because he would follow me in and out as I unloaded, the first Christmas, the first 4th of July parade past our house, because he would bark through the whole hour!
    The hardest part was right after he died.I thought the urge to hug him and kiss is head would tear me up. I'd hear another dog bark and think it was him and turn to look. I'd hear tinkling- the ceiling fan chain- and think it was the metal loop on his collar. I only just recently stopped calling downstairs to tell him goodnight . I still have his ball right here on my desk, and his leash is still hanging in the laundry room, ready for when he needs to go out, lol.
    A girl can pretend, can't she?
    I wish you well, Mable.

26. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Aug 8, 2008

I, too, have struggled with this issue. My cat (I've had her 15 years, but she's older than that) is deteriorating. I think she is deaf, and has trouble walking. She cries a lot. BUT, she is eating and 'going'...so at what point do you make that decision? I am still in the 'denial/selfish' phase and can't seem to let go of her yet. It is truly a difficult thing to go through.

You are in my thoughts...:hugs: