Got the wrong grade.

Discussion in 'College' started by newbie87, Jan 4, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I took a class this pass semester that grade based only on three tests we took. My grades were 82,74, and 89. Which means I got an 81, or a B. It's showing up on the website where you get your grades as a C-. There's no way that's possible. I never even got a C- on a test! I emailed the professor, but I hope this fixed in a timely manner. I don't know if the professor messed up or if it was the system.

3. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jan 4, 2010

I've had that happen before. Is it possible your class is on a 7-point scale? My last few education classes were on a 7-point scale while the rest of the college is on a 10-point.

4. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I don't know what a 7 point scale is. I've never seen it, so I don't think my university does it. Also, this was a class for my major and the major I'm in uses 4.0 scale.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2010

Real life story: A professor at the community college where I worked was rushing out the door right before Christmas break several years ago. This was back when the professors submitted paper grade reports to the department secretary instead of inputting the grades themselves. The department secretary went running after this professor saying he hadn't given her his grades yet for a particular class. He said, no problem, read me the roll. As she said each name, he said a grade. She asked him how he knew all the grades. His repsonse was that he didn't, but if he was wrong and a student go a grade that was too low, then he'd be sure to hear about it and he'd fix it in January.

Now, that's a little extreme, but mistakes do happen. Make sure you follow up with the professor the first week of this term.

6. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 4, 2010

So you have + and - grades...then an 81 is a B-.

Are the exam weighted the same...ie are they 1/3 of your final grade each.

7. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

Well, problem solved. I sent an email and the professor got back to me. I was supposed to get a B-, but they factored in attendance and participation, so I got a B+.

However, it will take a day or two to show up in the system.

8. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jan 4, 2010

A 10 point scale means letter grades are based on a 10-point scale. For example, a 90-100 is an A, an 80-89 is a B, etc. A 7-point scale means you have to make higher number scores to achieve the same letter grade. For example, a 93-100 is an A, an 85-92 is a B, and a 77-84 is a C, etc.

9. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 4, 2010

Cool...by the way, what was topic of the course?

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2010

Glad to hear it was sorted out. Did the professor say what the problem was?

11. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

I had gotten someone else's score by accident.

12. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

It was a history class, but to be honest it seemed more like political science the way it was taught. :(

13. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 4, 2010

That's hard. I've never heard of it before. Is it common?

14. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 4, 2010

We use the 7-point scale here. Colleges are the only ones around here that do the 10-point.

15. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jan 4, 2010

Same here, SunnyGal. My college also uses 10-point but a few of the upper-level education courses are 7-point.

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

I received an inaccurate grade in university in my first year. It was WAY too high! I didn't even do enough questions on the final exam to pass, yet I ended up with a C+ overall in the course. However, since this was a MATH course, I took the grade and ran. If my professor couldn't calculate my grade accurately, then I wasn't going to say anything!

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

I gave a student a D by accident once, instead of the A that was deserved... needless to say, I heard about it the next day and apologized profusely.

18. markty

markty Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

I've taken classes where an 82% was a failing grade, but I presume you would know if that was the case with this professor or university

MissScrimmage, one of my college professors made it known that he never gave out less than a C grade to anyone - even if they never attended class, took any tests, or did any work. It had something to do with the way his education was ran when he attended Oxford, but I don't remember the exact reasoning

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 24, 2010

The district I am in uses the 7 pt scale. I was shocked when I went to college. I always thought my grade was lower then it was. If I had a 91, I would think it was a B and it was an A.

20. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 24, 2010

Around my Junior year in college, they changed the grading scale so that your GPA would be docked if you earned less than 97% in a class. A's were not good enough for a 4.0 - you needed an A+. Somehow that's supposed to make it easier for us to get a job. I'd like to know how, since you can't right next to your GPA - by the way, I earned all A's, but I don't have a 4.0 because I earned a 96% in one class.

21. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Feb 1, 2010

I once got a wrong grade in a course I took at the community college. It was a Saturday class during my 2nd semester in college. I had a 6 month old at the time and was struggling with finding someone to watch him some Saturdays. I stopped going to class midway and never withdrew ... Well as I was looking at my grade for the other 3 classes I took, I noticed that I had a grade for my Saturday course (Composition 1) - turns out I got a B even though I never went back. I took that and never said a word to anyone about it. :) I still feel guilty about it at times though because I know I didn't deserve it.

22. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 1, 2010

Or perhaps your professor graded the same way the one I had did - never coming to class or doing any work at all would guarantee you a C.

23. rookie31

rookie31 New Member

Oct 8, 2010

Mistakes happen, and many instructors are reasonable and willing to fix any errors. Don't sweat it.

24. James

James New Member

Jan 26, 2011

Wrong Grade

We take out exams online and my first exam, after taking it, it popped up a page as to all thq questions i got wrong. There were 30 questions to it and it showed i got 20 right. I did not think at first but we had to take a snap shot of that page in Office and post it to the teacher. I made a 67 on that test which was wrong. I went over the questions that were wrong and spotted two more questions they counted me wrong but were right because they gave you the right answer below yours. The college said they will have to go by the first grade given. I printed the page off and the grading scale and i emailed it to the board of regions and they said you made a C+ but i was given a D-. I reported them to the BBB and i got a call from the college and was told they coulddrop me for that and if it happens again they will but in all i should have made a better grade because the answers to those questions were not even listen on the exam and the teacher sent me a page that was suppose to be my questions and answers but everyone of them all were different. Online college courses will cheat you every way they can.:mad:

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 26, 2011

I got 8 points off one of my classes and I didn't bother to go back and do anything about it because I have a high GPA and it wasn't worth it. I didn't realize my GPA was PERFECT until that class. Now I wish I had. Lol. Oh well.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

It happens. I got a C- in a kinesiology class, even though none of my grades on any assignments or homework were less than a B. I had to wait the whole entire summer, though, to get in hold with her. I was livid. She said she never got this one assignment from me (even though I had it with her grade and notes marked on it- I guess she forgot to input the grade). Meh.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 26, 2011

Welcome to the forums James. I'm sure that was a story you had to get off your chest!

28. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 9, 2011

Glad your professor fixed your grade.