Got the Theme... Now What??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Avery, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Avery

Avery Rookie

Sep 3, 2012

I have 1/2 of a project created, but I'm stumped about where kids go from here. My 7th grade advanced students will be reading 2 stories. For each story (one is a novel), they have to create a Theme Chart. Basically, they will have chosen the theme of the work and found passages that support that idea.

But how can we expand on this? I don't want them just to turn in the 2 worksheets; I'd rather they do something meaningful - a project that ties them together. Only I'm stuck because I can't figure out a way to work in 2 separate works and themes without them producing 2 separate projects.

Our time frame is about 2 or 3 class periods (an hour each). We will not have any time for presentations after. Also, I need to avoid a writing assignment, because of some testing we're doing the following week.

:help:

Ideas??

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Sep 4, 2012

Research Current events or brainstorm movies that also apply to the theme? -with explanation of course. Debate?

Counterthemes?

As you can probably guess I am not a LA teacher, but thought I would try and give some suggestions.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

What are you hoping to accomplish with the work you've done this far?

5. Avery

Avery Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

I was hoping for some comparing and contrasting of some kind. But that really is where I'm stuck.