Got the official word: All of spring break is canceled :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 7, 2012

I know I should be happy everyone is safe and all that (and I am!), but we just got word that spring break in April is canceled entirely due to having 2 weeks off for the storm. February break is also cancelled. That's going to be very hard on the kids (and yes, me too!) going from January until the end of the year (June 28) with the only two breaks being one day for MLK Day and one for Memorial Day. Eek!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2012

We are almost always in that position due to snow days. It really stinks, even though we are used to it by now. We also have to add days to the end of the school year, add 30 minutes to each school day, and even go on Saturdays.

We whine and complain and act worse than the kids, but its never as bad as we think it is going to be. We make sure to plan some fun activities here and there because it is a very long stretch with no breaks. The teachers will need breaks, too.

Definitely feel for you. Maybe you'll get some days forgiven along the way, so you can get some days back.

Hang in there!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2012

Oh my! It will definitely be a long road, but you will get through it. I know when we had used some emergency days, the state forgave them because they were deemed a state of emergency day for the entire area.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2012

WOW!!!! We had an ice storm when I was a senior in high school. We were out of school for two weeks without power, etc. We finally went back and they were trying to decide how to make up the lost time. (add an hour to the end of school days, extend the year, Saturday school, etc) In the end, they didn't do anything. We just missed two weeks of school and that was it. I wonder if that's even legal...

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 7, 2012

That's what I (and I'm sure most of the kids) was hoping for. I've heard rumors that the state can decide to let us just miss them without making them up.

I could definitely go an extra 30 min each day...not sure how I'd feel about the Saturday thing though...just wishing I had been more productive with all of this time off since I've had power for all but 1 of the days.

7. physteach

physteach Companion

Nov 7, 2012

We are an independent school, so we do not have to make up the time, but we are considering adding a week on at the end of the year. Probably depends on if we have off tomorrow - already got called about a delay!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2012

Yikes! I know I wouldn't like it if it were happening to me. But in my area of mild weather, we never lose days due to the weather.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2012

We've not lost this kind of time this early in the year in anyone's memory, Ms I. The hurricane virtually wiped some schools out, flooded others. Many students in some districts no longer have homes. Many districts build in a few snow days and adding one or two days to the end of the school year generally isn't a problem. Two weeks of missed school, however, is impactful..this wasn't our 'usual' weather as our Octobers are usually mild....and NONE of us imagined it happening here either.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2012

I would hope the state would help you all out....
    I know when I was a Sr. we had a ton of snow days (really they were the temps were too low for kids to stand and wait for the bus and snow days). They didn't know if the Srs would get out early like they do... We ended up getting out, but I think the state gave some leeway to the schools for the make up days...

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 7, 2012

In California we've certainly lost days due to fire.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2012

One of the local districts was discussing taking away Veteran's Day on MOnday....I think its kind of late for that so I am interested to see what their vote at the board mtg was tonight. I am going to Disney for the 3 day weekend and I'm sure others already have plans.

13. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 7, 2012

We have been out 8 days now due to Sandy. We are going to school tomorrow and Friday to make up 2 of the days. I'm hoping Gov. Christie comes in and waves some of the days since Sandy is a once in a lifetime (we hope!) event. Or else we will also be giving up spring break.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 7, 2012

Only time I've ever lost teaching time was when Hurricane Ike knocked out our school's connectivity for a week. We sent out a lot of paper and pencil packet work for the students as power slowly came back.

15. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 7, 2012

It's snowing pretty badly here. So I'm beginning to doubt that we will actually get in school tomorrow. I just want to gt back to normal.

16. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 8, 2012

Oh my!

Do schools out east still put in "extra" contact hours for possible circumstances that are beyond their control?

I know we are scheduled over in contact hours for "just in case"...but we always have a day or three off for winter like weather.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 8, 2012

How is everyone weathering the latest storm?

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2012

We have 3 days built in......today is our 7th day off.

19. physteach

physteach Companion

Nov 8, 2012

Most schools near me (including mine) did delayed openings. The roads in our county weren't bad, but there were a lot of extra road closures, which made coming in take a long time.

This seemed like nothing compared to the hurricane!

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2012

You can do it!
    We never have a break from January 2 until we are out in May.
    It is tough, but we get through and so will you :hugs:

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2012

I am surprised that it is not declared a 'state of emergency' and the days are just lost instead of made up.

I recall a few years back when it was soooo cold in WI that it was declared a state of emergency for two days. We not have to count the 2 days lost. So typically we have 180 school days and we only had 178. The community was upset though that teachers still got paid for those two days.

22. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Nov 8, 2012

I appreciate the challenge in having spring break canceled, but I also remember back to my first job out of college (first career prior to teaching) and it was a shocking realization that I would only get ONE day off each for Christmas and New Year's, and we had NO holidays between New Year's and Memorial day...(no President's day, no MLK day, nothing)...

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2012

Oh! That is a long time without having any significant break.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2012

When the hurricane came through our town in 2004, we lost six weeks of school. When we finally went back, several schools were on double sessions so they could send children from destroyed schools back. The state allowed us to just forget those days.

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 8, 2012

Yeah when it happened in the Houston area in 08 we were out of school for nearly 2 weeks. The state just excused the days. Sorry you guys are dealing with this. :( :hugs:

26. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Nov 8, 2012

Something tells me our governor will not excuse the days. So I am sure many district will be giving up spring break.

27. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 8, 2012

I'm not a big fan of Chris Christie but he has been really great through this mess. I think he will forgive at least some of the days when he gets around to it. We will probably not hear until Jan. or Feb. Right now his major concern is getting people food, their power back and getting kids back into schools that are destroyed.

PS Rbart- my district has a LTS position for art that just opened today if you're interested.

28. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 8, 2012

When we had Ike the state gave districts 3 "free" days that did not have to be made up and beyond the 3 days you had to make up half of the days missed. We were out 5 and had to make up 1 day, which was Good Friday.