Got the Kindie job, all set but phonics??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MPSimecek, Aug 11, 2004.

1. MPSimecek

MPSimecek Rookie

Aug 11, 2004

Hi all..

First off, this board is a life saver..!! Thank you!

I interviewed last week for 2 kindie jobs, and have landed myself a job as a 1/2 day kindie teacher, which is perfect since I have a baby at home as well.

The school is very literacy focused, which is also good, since I have a literacy endorsement and a lot of Guided Reading training/experience. So, I've got a rough idea on how my day will look, and how we'll read and do centers etc.

However, I do think that I'd like to do some type of "phonics" lesson within my day, even though the other teacher is not doing that. I just know that I do have some kids who don't know their sounds. While most do, and I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, I would like some type of strucutured phonics coaching within the day.

What do you all recommend? Do you do this separately, or embedded within reading? If you do it separately, what are you doing? A program? Something from a book? Any ideas would be helpful. Since I'm new to this age group, I'm not totally sure on how much I should incorporate, but in a 1/2 day program there is not a ton of time available. However, I do want parents to know we at least touch on the "phonics" side of things.

Thanks for any and all feedback!!

Michelle

3. berylayn

berylayn Rookie

Aug 12, 2004

Michelle, Teaching in a half day program can be tough. One thing happens right after another and you find yourself saying "where did the day go!" alot. Last year was my first year teaching in a 1/2 day program and I somehow managed to find a way to fit it all in.

I did have a centers/reading block, but in addition we did incorporate phonics into what we were doing to. My team adopted a letter of the week aproach to guide our phonics instruction, but it was not the be all end all of our phonics program. We also utilized a computer program called Earobics, and we did picture sorts as well. I also incorporated phonics activites into many of my centers.

I hope some of this information is helpful. Good luck with the kinders! I think you're in for a treat this year, they're a lot of fun to work with.

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 12, 2004

Do the children in your program not have to know their letters and sounds inorder to move into 1st grade. I surprised that all the teacher don't teach the phonics. I teach pre-k and I expose them to as much as I can. Sounds like you have the right idea--teaching phonics so they will be ready for the next grade.