Got the job... now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by asd5042, Aug 11, 2010.

1. asd5042

asd5042 Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

I know this is an extremely open question, but I just don't want to overlook anything that I should do to prepare for the school year. Any advice as to what to do to prepare for the school year, such as supplies, letters, etc? Any ideas/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated, as this is my FIRST teaching job!! :) Thanks!!

3. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

The only advice I can give you is to rely on your team. When I was new teacher, my district didn't have a mentoring program. The members of my team ended up being my mentors, even if it wasn't an official thing. Your team is your support system and your greatest resource. Don't be afraid to ask them for help.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

I'm not elementary, but here's my take on it:

I'm guessing that school starts somewhere around Labor Day in PA, right??

And that you've been offered the job, but haven't signed your contract yet, right?

It will take a few days for them to get that together, along with the info on your benefits package. When they do calll you to come in, ask if you can pick up your textbooks and curriculum info at that time.

In the meantime,
    - take a look at the PA standards for 3rd grade. As someone else suggested, print them up in a table, so you can check off each one each time it's covered. Get a feel for what you'll be teaching.
    - hit every garage sale you can find, looking for books for your classroom library. Hit a variety of reading levels, genres, topics.
    - start building a professional wardrobe. This is the time to get the last of the summer clearance stuff-- it will see you through September and next spring.
    - remember comfortable shoes!!!!!
    - start searching here for ideas -- projects, discipline plans, and so on.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Good luck! I would start lesson planning and shopping for clothes to wear. Once you sign the contract, I would then start getting school supplies. Also check to see what the students are bringing. Start looking about procedures and routines you want instilled in your classroom. Good luck, I am a first year teacher too and I am very exctied to get going :)