Got the job. . .not excited

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpa1b2, Aug 21, 2009.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

I interviewed with the president of the company yesterday afternoon, was told to call the principal of the school this morning. So I did & got an interview for later in the morning. I knew going in that this is an 11 month school & is making the change from a private & independent school to a charter school.

I liked to principal. Then he told me what they pay starting teachers. I'd get more then that since I'm experienced. They won't pay extra for my masters. The starting pay isn't bad for a new teacher, but this is an 11 month school year! Guess I was just expecting pay to be a little higher.

Oh well, I can' be too choosey. So he offered me the job & I took it. He's showing me around the building. I like the people I met. It just doesn't feel like home. The room he's giving me looks depressing (metal cabinets with bent shelves).

I feel like throwing up. The room's dark, chalkboards not white boards. No supplies yet. Just a bare room with furniture. How do I make this room homey?

I get in the car, call my hubby & start crying. I should be excited that I got the job! I'm not going to have to sub, things will be okay. It's a pay cut, but I was expecting that.

It's not the grade (kinder). I've taught kinder before. I'm ready to go back to it after teaching 3rd grade.

Am I crying because I'm relieved that I have a job? Am I grieving, again, over the loss of my previous job that I loved, in a building that I loved? That job is gone.

I should be making plans, instead I keep thinking about how depressing the room was and wondering how I'm going to make it into my warm, loving, inviting classroom. Hmm, maybe the problem is I haven't had to do that in a while. Gotta start somewhere.

I know this is rambling, but I just needed to vent!

3. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I took a job, got the building tour, called my husband on the way home crying....spent the next 5 hours stressing, then called the P to not take the job. Go with your gut......

4. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

hmmmm

First... I have to say CONGRATS!!!...

Second, I'd give ANYTHING to have my own room again...to me your room is what you make of it..it may not be peaches and cream right now, but YOU KNOW you can make it how you want it. Part of me is upset that you are not THRILLED to have a teaching job and that it shouldn't matter what it looks like RIGHT NOW..YOU were hired because they knew YOU would be able to take the bent shelves and create an absolutly AMAZING room.

Finally, My first teaching job was in a charter school, the whole school was trailors, we had to go out to the corner before recess and ask the drug dealers if they could move down the steet so we could come out and play...I was in shock and aw my first few weeks..very soon it felt like home and at the end of my second year I transfered to another school by the same company closer to home and to this day I miss EVERYTHING about being there.

You will see, YOU were meant to have this job, YOU were the chosen one, the one that is going to have a HUGE impact on the lives of those precious little ones. Everything happens for a reason!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Tutor: I can't quit, not without having something else lined up. Something more then subbing.

KP: I'm glad that I have my own room. I'm glad that I have a teaching job. I don't know if this is a big let down from having to job hunt, unexpectedly, all summer long. If I hadn't just finished my period, I'd say I was PMSing!

I think it's partly because I've never had a room look so awful when I walked in. I just don't know where to start. I've got to get my head wrapped around it & then I'll be fine.

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Congrats! Give the place a chance. You can make your room cozy and a place that children want to learn in. YOU CAN DO THIS! Go look around at stores--Wal-Mart, Target, Dollar General, Dollar Tree...There are lots of resources. Good luck and you know you can always look on other forums to see what others have done to make their rooms their own! :)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Right now I'm realizing there are so many questions that I have that I didn't ask, about basic things such as supplies, art easel, blocks etc. Mats.

There's nothing in the room. Been there, done that. Doing it again. Maybe that's what's wrong.

With each passing minute, I'm calming down. Making a list is helping.

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Congratulations on the job, and feel free to vent! The emotions probably come from a combination of things. Glad the list-making is helping! Hang in there! You're gonna make it a great year!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Congratulations! Just take one thing at a time! You will be fine, and once you see those smiling faces, it won't matter what your walls or cabinets look like. Have fun with it.
    PS I understand your angst, tho, I was feeling that way myself yesterday. :/

10. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 21, 2009

i feel EXACTLY the same way as you! I also have a job and am less than thrilled about it. it is not even close to ideal and a good chunk less than what i'd make in a piblic school. my job last year got given away to someone else and id DOIE to have it back. i seriously could have written your post except my room itself isnt bad. other than that i have the same emotions as you do

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Ah, you're just homesick (classroom sick?).
    You will make that classroom your own and you will start to feel about it as you did your old classroom.
    Now, see? I would love to have an old fashioned blackboard.
    Why? Because a teacher's nails down the chalkboard is a very effective means of classroom management.

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Good one! :lol:

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

Congrats on the job! I'm sorry that it's not exactly what you were hoping for, but maybe something better will come along later.

14. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Aug 21, 2009

Congratulations. Is it possible to paint it? Bright clean color, even white does amazing things to walls, or maybe buy colorful fabric to place on the walls. You could use cheap curtains that and attach them too. Also, Target, Walmart, etc have 32x40 (or so) white boards that you can get for around $20. IKEA had bins for $1 the last time I went there.

I hope you get to feeling better. I didn't get a job this year. I would look at it as a challenge, bring on a group of friends and they'll help make it the safe, nurturing room it is meant to be.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

The more I think about it, I think it's a combination of things. I've never walked into such an empty room, plus it's an older building. I think it is the color & probably the lack of things on the walls. At the beginning of the year I organize furniture & then do the walls.

I have a ton of questions about what will be supplied before I go & purchase anything. (i.e. rug, crayons, scissors, pencils, paper, everything!) I just need to find a way to bring warmth into the room. Right now it's just a plain, boring, unloved room.

The good news is that about 1/2 hour ago I got a phone call for an interview at another unrelated school & I turned it down!

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

Congratulations on the new job! And I'm sorry that you're feeling this way.

17. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Aug 21, 2009

i think i understand where you are coming from. i'm sure it's a combination of all the stress, preparation and hope for that "oh-so-perfect-school" to work at. then, it's finally over and you think "this is it?" give yourself some time. do you remember being in kindergarten and the absolute awe you had for being in a classroom and feeling like such a "big kid". kinder is such a special time and YOU are going to be a part of that no matter where you would teach.
    think of the classroom as a challenge...."how am i going to make this awesome?" and GO FOR IT!!! :D:D:D:D

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2009

Congratulations on your new teaching position! I hope you will be able to find out soon what is provided in terms of furniture and books. then, of course you will need to purchase teaching charts and wall decorations, BB items, etc...I have taught in a really old building (built in 1925) with no air conditioning, torn window screens, squeaky floors, no classroom computers, chalkboards, smelly, old wooden built in cabinets, really old furniture, bent metal file cabinets and shelves (whew!) but over time, I have made it very livable. This school year, I feel as if I've finally made it what I want it to be. Little by little, I've replaced old stuff with new. I've asked the school to purchase some items over the years and I've bought some of my own. I love my classroom now and everything in it is meaningful to me because I worked long and hard to achieve this environment. I still need to purchase two rugs and I will but It has to wait until next paycheck. Then I'll be done. I'm still building my own picture book resources though and that will be never-ending. Make the best of what you have and find ways to be happy.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

I'm finding that as I pull my kinder stuff out of storage I'm getting excited. It's been fun pulling out the stuffed animals, the puzzles etc that I used in the past.

I do think it was the "let down" after the search is over. The relief of having a job and at the same time realizing that for the 1st time, in a long, time, not knowing anyone in my new job. It's the fear of the unknown, things that I have taken for granted for so many years. (Where is the copy machine, staff lounge, paper for bulletin boards, you get the idea).

Thanks for the support!

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2009

Non-consumables I have. I've taught Kinder before & I keep everything! The only thing that I can think of that I may need is an Alphabet chart, only because I don't know what kind of handwriting they use.

As I think back to the room, I may need more shelving and I want an area rug. So I'm making a list of questions to ask on Monday! :dizzy:

21. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! I was so relieved at first to get a teaching job that's all I could think about. Then some of the details began to sink in and I began comparing the new job to my old one. My old job was my dream job - I loved the grade level, my classroom, my co workers, my paycheck - but they had to make cuts. I think what you're feeling is part of the grieving process. I didn't really start to feel better until I made myself look at the big picture (would I rather have this job or sub/continue my summer job?) and quit sweating the small stuff that I can't change anyway. And I wouldn't say that I'm completely "there" yet, but I do feel that things will be okay in the long run. I hope you find some peace about your situation and once you make the classroom yours that you feel much better. By the sounds of your last post, you are already feeling more positive!

22. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

I get it, truly I do.
    I don't have a job but there is a small part of me which is relieved that there is nothing there for me.
    I have the luxury of having a husband who earns a decent income so there is no pressure in that regard. I found that when I was teaching,and working 10 to 12 hour days, that I was not a very good mother. I couldn't be as I get no help here on the home front. Even when I was home I couldn't really be home for my kids. My older son is developmentally disabled and my younger one is about about to enter middle school.
    Last year I just didn't have the time to give these boys the attention they needed and deserved and the house became a mess and I was a bit of nervous wreck myself. The guilt was overwhelming.
    So while I am disappointed that there is no job for me I am somewhat relieved to know I will just be subbing on a short term basis.

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

:rolleyes:Sounds like you are very content with this option right now. I know that guilt can eat at you when you are trying to work full time, and be a Mom and feeling like you are not giving either job enough time and attention. Perhaps this year you can work on making a plan so that you get the kids a little more independent, and helping you with things so that you are not the only one on the homefront doing everything. That way when you do find a job, the kids will be more of a help and less guilt will be involved when you are working. I know it is a huge help when my husband unloads the dish washer and then, started washing his own clothes. That little bit of help along with occasionally mopping and sweeping really takes a load off of me! :) You just have to train them all to be help and not continue to do everything for everyone. Then, you will feel that guilt. Congratulations in your decision. It sounds like a really good for your family!

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 22, 2009

Go on this website. There are so many cute classrooms with great pics. You can really get some great ideas right here. It is amazing what some hot glue, staples, bulletin board paper, and some bright cheerful border can do for a classroom. Charter schools are a great way to get into the public education forum. Most are public schools and once you gain experience, you can move right on over to a school near and dear to your home. Some teachers end up loving their teaching assignments so much though , they end up moving to that area instead of moving to another school. Just watch and wait. Have your list ready on Monday. It sounds like you are getting a bit more excited just by unpacking your kinder stuff! You will make that classroom wonderful. Just fill it with love and the kids will bring about that bright cheery feature that you felt the room was missing! It is ALL yours. CONGRATS!:hugs:

25. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 22, 2009

Go to a craft store, walmart, etc and by fabric to cover up the ugly! It will make a big difference! Good luck and have a great year!!!

26. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 22, 2009

May not be that helpful to hear, but I would prefer to have a chalkboard in my room when I get one. Chalk, to me, is inseperable from my memories of great teachers. I am sure you will carry on the tradition with great success.

27. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

Thank you Texas. But I must confess I didn't chose to not have a full time teaching job; the choice was made for me because there are just no jobs in my area. I am disappointed and sad about my prospects. But yes, part of me is relieved because I know that full time teaching really demands a 60 to 80 hour work week.
    If there were a job in my area and in my vicinity, I'd be all over it like bees to honey, and yes, I would train the family to be more helpful . I don't think my husband is trainable. Trust me, I've tried, and I have come to the point in my life where I can say that the husband unloading the dishwasher is better than a dozen red roses and better than foreplay.

28. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I feel the same way. I lost my job last spring (lay off). I loved my job. I loved the teachers I worked with. I loved the commute (15 minutes). I finally got another position LTS. I love the room. I'm ambivalent about the school/teachers and the commute sucks. I'm happy to be employed, but sad about starting anew at a place I'm not thrilled with.