got "stuck" being a teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeAround, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

I had an interesting conversation with a student (and then his tablemates) this week. I don't remember how it started but I do remember saying that teachers teach because they WANT to be around students. Because they want to see their students learn and grow. He seemed dubious so I asked him "what, do you think I *have* to teach? That I couldn't do anything else if I wanted?" I told him that if the day came where being around teens was no longer enticing I would find another job. I reminded him of my education, which does allow me a lot of freedom, and told him to be a little more mindful of the choices that his teachers have made just to benefit him and his peers.

I think I may have changed a few minds that were still caught up in the "those that can..." mess.

3. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 15, 2014

That's an awesome conversation!!! I'm glad your student heard that :)

4. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 15, 2014

I asked my students these questions one day as a bellringer:

1. Why do you come to school?
    2. How can school improve your life? Why do some people NOT want others to be educated?
    3. Describe YOUR role in your education.
    4. Describe how you see teachers and their role in YOUR education.

and had a very interesting conversation. I also asked them why they thought I taught. I had to inform them that No money was definitely NOT the reason.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2014

I think I'm going to steal that bellringer for next week. The conversation should be fascinating, especially considering how much self-discipline my students must have just to bother to show up to class.

6. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 15, 2014

I tried to pull in some history into the conversation and talk about how in the past slaves and women were not allowed to be educated. Also gave it an international spin and talked about how in some countries poor people and women are still not allowed to be educated. Then we tied it back closer to home and talked about how some students would misbehavior in order not to do work at school because they didn't care about their education and didn't want others to do well either. It can lead into conversations about peer pressure and bullying as well, by tying in how those things can affect students ability to learn and do well at school.

Most students thought they were passive learners and teachers were suppose to do all the teaching. I had them create their own experiment and present their findings to the class. Emphasizing how we as teachers are there to help them learn, but they are to be active learners. They have a lot to teach each other and need to learn how to research and teach themselves and others new ideas and concepts, because the future holds ideas and inventions not even conceived today. I had them think about the world before the invention of heavier than air flight or cell phones.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

I get you point, OP, but some people ARE stuck teaching although I am sure they are in the minority. These teachers can't afford to leave in an unstable job market especially if the don't have a degree that is marketable outside of the education field. Also, my district pays very well so even leaving to teach in one of the surrounding suburbs (which also pay well, just not as well) is not an option for some. Then there are the benefits, the pension, and job security which make it very, very hard to leave.

I've met many stuck teachers over the years.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2014

In the beginning of the year, I tell my students that I have a degree in Chemistry and every year, I get a student that asks why don't I work in a lab at one of the many chemical plants in my area because I could make 4x what I make teaching. I actually got into education thinking that I could work when my kids were in school but I very quickly realized that I was doing more than I could ever do in any lab. I have students who have gone on and done many things and I realize that I played a small part in molding that child into the adult he became along with every other teacher in his life. I have had students come back and thank me because my class was harder then their first few college chemistry classes and that is a type of payment that money can never provide.

9. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Mar 16, 2014

Your post makes my heart sing. <3 That is so amazing. <3

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 16, 2014

Lovely response and quite better than the "It's not because of the pay" reply.