Got placement details late...advice?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Tay, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

Hi everyone! I begin my student teaching on January 7th and I have a question. My school has always sent things to my personal email and for some reason they sent my placement details to my school address. Well, since I never check that email, I got it late. I tried callling him this last week and left a message. Haven't got a call back yet. Now we're on winter break until January 7th.

I feel really bad now. I don't want to bug him during his vacation. But at the same time I feel like I really need to get ahold of him to see if we need to meet or doing anything before hand. Should I just keep calling and leaving messages? I'm so nervous as it is and now with this, I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Thanks for any advice!

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 22, 2007

There's a good chance that he wont get your message until he gets back from break. No one is at our school over break, and the secretaries surely don't check messages. Do you have his school email address? You might try to contact him that way.

4. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

Well, they gave me his home phone number. And they didnt' give me his school email address, but I did find it on the school's website. Do you think he can check that from home?

Thanks!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2007

I would probably wait until after Christmas, then give him a call at home. Just to kind of check in and say hi.

If you don't get a hold of him, don't panic. The first day is likely to be just observing anyway, so there's nothing to really prep.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 22, 2007

Send him an e-mail at his school address... then if he doesn't get back to you, do what alice said...

7. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

The only thing I'm nervous about is that I'm supposed to start the day they come back from vacation. I just don't want to look bad. I guess there's not much I can do right now. I think I'll try calling him again after Christmas and maybe one more time before the 7th. Other than that, I guess all I can do is wait.

Thanks again!

8. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Dec 22, 2007

I found out where I was student teaching two days before I started. It turned out great. I know for our first semester they did not want us contacting the teacher ahead of time. We just showed up the first day. I'm sure it will go great. I know you will learn a lot I did and I enjoyed it.

Stephanie

One more student teaching left and I do not start till end of Feb.

9. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better :)

10. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

Thanks! I'll do that :)

11. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 22, 2007

Thanks :) I'm super excited. I've been in school now for 11 years. (Decided to have a family in between). So for this to finally be coming to an end, I can hardly stand the excitement.

Good luck on your last placement.. What grades did you have? This one that starts in January is 2nd grade. Then I have 3rd grade in March. I just got out of a 4th grade practicum and I LOVED it! I didn't think I'd like the older ones, but boy was it nice with them being able to do things on their own :)

12. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Dec 23, 2007

I would call after Christmas. This will show that you are truely excited. He may need to go back a day early to work in the classroom (maybe put away holiday stuff) so they can hit the ground running. Maybe you could help.

The first day back, there will be little time for him to explain what is going on. If you talk before you start, I'm sure it will go a lot smoother for both of you.

13. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 24, 2007

Thanks! Yes, I will call after Christmas.

I think you're exactly right about it running smoother if we talk before we start. **cross your fingers that I get ahold of him** :)

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 25, 2007

Call after Christmas. This should ease your mind.

15. Tay

Tay Companion

Dec 25, 2007

thank you :)