Got one job offer waiting on another question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Oct 3, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2015

So I got a job offer Friday (at 4 pm) and I have three business days to decide. Does that mean i have till Weds?

Here is the issue, it is a good offer, but in the wrong town. I want the one in my home town but they are still waiting on a return of a reference survey.

So, needing an option quick I did a quick search here, and sent the home town school an email letting them know there was another offer on the table and asking them where they are in their decision process. I told them they were my first choice due to the position and the location.

I am freaking out, I am totally unsure if that reference will actually return the survey (she has had three days and won't respond to any of my emails or messages...but as my student teaching mentor, her reference was required...its only been three years since I finished student teaching)

I am not sure if I did the right thing now, taking the local job makes me sick to my stomach at the thought, I worry I am just trading one bad job for another mostly since it is a year round school (mostly I worry that the insurance cost is so high and the time commitment so high i will never see my family on the other side of the state)

Was sending the email a good idea? Do I have till weds to decide with the first school to let the second school decide?

HELP

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2015

Why did you interview in the 'wrong town'? If it was your only offer would you take it?

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

Are you sure she would give you a great reference? How was your end-of-student-teaching evaluation?

The fact she's had it 3 days wouldn't worry me nearly as much as her failure to respond to your emails or messages.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2015

I interviewed here in Detroit because my current boss set it up, and I didn't think I would get an interview in my home town.

As for my student teaching mentor my evals were stellar, she agreed to be a reference and wrote great letter. I think she is put off by my tracking her down to her new school after I found out her reference was required for this job. She returned calls and such last summer, but I had told her I was looking then.

If it was my only option, I would take it. My current job will end when I leave, as my company is ending the contract due to the silliness going on

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2015

I wouldn't feel comfortable counting on someone who wouldn't even return my calls. I think that your best bet is to either accept the first job or, if you really don't want that job, turn it down and keep looking elsewhere.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2015

That's my problem, I don't feel comfortable waiting on her. I have six references that would be more than happy to fill out the survey...why the insisted on my student teaching mentor I don't know. They did tell me that once they get it back they would proceed with the rest of the hiring process, so I know they want me... Shame they didn't send out another survey so they could for sure get their required two.

Sigh

8. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 4, 2015

I agree with Caesar.

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2015

I heard from school two, they plan on extending an offer and agreed to use another reference. I should hear today or tomorrow......now to turn down first school

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2015

Congratulation! When would you start?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

Congrats!!

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 6, 2015

Glad things are working out for you!!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

I'd sit on the second offer to come through unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you wouldn't take that job regardless.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2015

I am, but I am running out of time. I have till 4 pm tomorrow to decide either way. I just hope the other offer comes in

I hate waiting!

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2015

I'll find out when I get the offer

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2015

Any word on an offer?

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2015

I have heard that is it basically mine......I am merely waiting for the superintendent to sign off on it. But I have been waiting on that for two days now. The waiting has been killing me.

Just in case I have given a tentative acceptance to the first job....they have talked to the boss of my current job and know I am juggling multiple offers and are willing to wait for my acceptance.

I, on the other hand, just might have a coronary if this doesn't' end soon.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2015

I know the waiting is tough...especially after all you have been through this last year. We are all hanging in there with you!

wldywall and teacherintexas like this.