Got one job offer waiting on another question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Oct 3, 2015.

  1. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 3, 2015

    So I got a job offer Friday (at 4 pm) and I have three business days to decide. Does that mean i have till Weds?

    Here is the issue, it is a good offer, but in the wrong town. I want the one in my home town but they are still waiting on a return of a reference survey.

    So, needing an option quick I did a quick search here, and sent the home town school an email letting them know there was another offer on the table and asking them where they are in their decision process. I told them they were my first choice due to the position and the location.

    I am freaking out, I am totally unsure if that reference will actually return the survey (she has had three days and won't respond to any of my emails or messages...but as my student teaching mentor, her reference was required...its only been three years since I finished student teaching)

    I am not sure if I did the right thing now, taking the local job makes me sick to my stomach at the thought, I worry I am just trading one bad job for another mostly since it is a year round school (mostly I worry that the insurance cost is so high and the time commitment so high i will never see my family on the other side of the state)

    Was sending the email a good idea? Do I have till weds to decide with the first school to let the second school decide?

    HELP
     
  2.  
  3. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,948
    Likes Received:
    2,096

    Oct 3, 2015

    Why did you interview in the 'wrong town'? If it was your only offer would you take it?
     
  4. RainStorm

    RainStorm Aficionado

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Messages:
    3,974
    Likes Received:
    221

    Oct 3, 2015

    Are you sure she would give you a great reference? How was your end-of-student-teaching evaluation?

    The fact she's had it 3 days wouldn't worry me nearly as much as her failure to respond to your emails or messages.
     
  5. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 3, 2015

    I interviewed here in Detroit because my current boss set it up, and I didn't think I would get an interview in my home town.

    As for my student teaching mentor my evals were stellar, she agreed to be a reference and wrote great letter. I think she is put off by my tracking her down to her new school after I found out her reference was required for this job. She returned calls and such last summer, but I had told her I was looking then.

    If it was my only option, I would take it. My current job will end when I leave, as my company is ending the contract due to the silliness going on
     
  6. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,468
    Likes Received:
    2,485

    Oct 3, 2015

    I wouldn't feel comfortable counting on someone who wouldn't even return my calls. I think that your best bet is to either accept the first job or, if you really don't want that job, turn it down and keep looking elsewhere.
     
  7. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 3, 2015

    That's my problem, I don't feel comfortable waiting on her. I have six references that would be more than happy to fill out the survey...why the insisted on my student teaching mentor I don't know. They did tell me that once they get it back they would proceed with the rest of the hiring process, so I know they want me... Shame they didn't send out another survey so they could for sure get their required two.

    Sigh
     
  8. stargirl

    stargirl Companion

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Messages:
    142
    Likes Received:
    16

    Oct 4, 2015

    I agree with Caesar.
     
  9. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 6, 2015

    I heard from school two, they plan on extending an offer and agreed to use another reference. I should hear today or tomorrow......now to turn down first school
     
  10. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,468
    Likes Received:
    1,350

    Oct 6, 2015

    Congratulation! When would you start?
     
  11. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Oct 6, 2015

    Congrats!!
     
  12. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Oct 6, 2015

    Glad things are working out for you!!
     
  13. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,948
    Likes Received:
    2,096

    Oct 6, 2015

    I'd sit on the second offer to come through unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you wouldn't take that job regardless.
     
  14. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 6, 2015

    I am, but I am running out of time. I have till 4 pm tomorrow to decide either way. I just hope the other offer comes in

    I hate waiting!
     
  15. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 6, 2015

    I'll find out when I get the offer
     
  16. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Oct 9, 2015

    Any word on an offer?
     
  17. wldywall

    wldywall Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1,947
    Likes Received:
    33

    Oct 9, 2015

    I have heard that is it basically mine......I am merely waiting for the superintendent to sign off on it. But I have been waiting on that for two days now. The waiting has been killing me.

    Just in case I have given a tentative acceptance to the first job....they have talked to the boss of my current job and know I am juggling multiple offers and are willing to wait for my acceptance.

    I, on the other hand, just might have a coronary if this doesn't' end soon.
     
  18. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,468
    Likes Received:
    1,350

    Oct 10, 2015

    I know the waiting is tough...especially after all you have been through this last year. We are all hanging in there with you!
     
    wldywall and teacherintexas like this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. ally06,
  2. MissBee06,
  3. YoungTeacherGuy,
  4. RainStorm,
  5. miss-m,
  6. vickilyn,
  7. MrsC,
  8. rpan
Total: 397 (members: 10, guests: 361, robots: 26)
test