Got observed on Halloween!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cupcakequeen, Oct 31, 2016.

1. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 31, 2016

In my district (actually, in the whole state I think) new (0-3 years experience) teachers are observed 4 times- 2 announced observations by an administrator, 1 peer observation, and 1 unannounced observation by an administrator.

My principal always does the unannounced in the second quarter, which we just started. I knew it would be coming up soon, but I had no idea that it would be first thing in the morning on Halloween!

As luck would have it, the group I had at the time is made up of absolute angels and not even Halloween excitement could keep them from being on their best behavior as always. I was still a little nervous, though, because I had come up with a fun, fairly laid back Halloween math activity to do and I was worried it would seem like I was slacking off.

It's now my planning period, though, and I finally got a chance to look over my observation notes and it seems like it went really well! There were a few areas I did not score as highly on as I usually do, but I will certainly not be complaining! I'm also thanking my lucky stars she didn't decided to come this afternoon after the kids have had their class parties!

BioAngel likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 31, 2016

Hahah!

Last year, my maternity sub was given a full-year contract because we had that many pregnant teachers for her to cover. Which meant... observations.

They observed her the first day she took over for me.

4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 31, 2016

Oh no! That sounds awful! Hopefully they went a little easy on her.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2016

Congrats on still doing amazingly - must have a well-established class...well done!

I accidentally (I still don't know how I didn't realize it) set my first observation last year for the first day back from winter break. Nonetheless, it was probably my best one yet!

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 31, 2016

Hey, I'm glad your observation went well! I got observed today on Halloween too :) The lesson went great, although my kids were a bit older than yours haha. My juniors did pretty well for my principal today.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 31, 2016

We have it in our contract that they can't come holidays, the day before a major break, or the day we come back from a major break. I'm so glad!!! Kudos for still being awesome.

8. MrK

MrK Rookie

Nov 1, 2016

That happened to one of my coworkers yesterday and the kids made it tough for her. It didn't help that it was the last period of the day and 35 kids in the class. She handled it pretty well, but thought she didn't do that great. I'm glad you did a great job! I get my formal observation today. I'm incredibly anxious.

9. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks everyone! I've gotten way more confident during observations since my first year. If this had happened two years ago I would have been so freaked out, but this time I felt much calmer than normal. I guess that's a good sign.

For those of you who have been teaching for awhile, are your very comfortable during observations or do they still make you a little nervous?

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2016

Today is the day after Halloween, as you well know.

This morning in walked my AP to observe me!!!

I actually got a pretty good review.

11. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Nov 1, 2016

I hope I didn't jinx you! Glad it went well though! All my kids were so hopped up on sugar today I'm not sure how any observation of mine would have gone!

Backroads likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2016

I didn't even see him come in. I just happened to glance over and notice him typing away at his laptop. And I'm thinking "Why today?!"

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2016

Only my third-ish year, but my answer would be: sort of. I think I'll be nervous no matter what, but I've found myself going into them with more confidence. Last year's first-day-back-from-winter-break observation, I actually was excited to go in and have the observation. That being said, I'll be evaluated by someone different this year, and it's a much different group of kids, so I may be more nervous going in.

I think no matter what, you'll become more comfortable / accustomed to it, even if not 100%.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2016

Even after teaching for 7 years, I still got nervous when administrators came in to observe me! Thank goodness I'm not longer in a classroom position to get observed on days like yesterday or today.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 1, 2016

My administrator was always dropping by just to see what was happening. So when it was time to be formally observed, it wasn't very nerve wracking. We get observed (formally) every 5 years, but there are many, many informal walkthroughs in between.

Glad your observation went well. It's kind of nice to just 'be yourself' - which is all you can do on Halloween :)

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2016

It is the same for us. My administrators are dropping in tomorrow afternoon to see projects the students have put together; I look on it as an opportunity for them to observe what happens in my classroom.

I'm glad your observation went well; my class was whack-a-do yesterday!

mathmagic likes this.
  17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 1, 2016

My P will do walk around's and will usually stop into my classroom because I'm the first one from her office (I'd like to think it is also because we are usually doing some fun with materials too). Always makes me nervous even though she's either 1) never said anything/no feedback (which kind of stinks) or 2) has either has a better way I could be doing something or some kind of resource that goes along with what I'm doing.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 1, 2016

My observation is tomorrow (and it's my birthday lol). we get to choose the day we want to be observed and the period. We have 2 formal observations a year (every other year for tenured teachers, which I am now) and a few other walk-throughs that will add to the overall picture in the spring. If I remember correctly my P said she won't even do a formal observation in the srping, it will be just a few walk-throughs, informal.

19. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Nov 3, 2016

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope your observation went well!