Got my flu shot!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Nov 5, 2010.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 5, 2010

I may not see my students every day, but I definitely have a lot of one-on-one tutoring contact with students as well as proctoring the state tests. Unfortunately, my arm is now killing me and my head is starting to get stuffy. I foresee a hot toddy in my future. :whistle: I had my tetanus / whooping cough shot in the spring because there's an outbreak of whooping cough in my county.

Anyone else getting their shot or is getting one soon? If not, I'm curious to know why. This is only my second flu shot, but after having H1N1 last year, I prefer to avoid all illnesses in that range.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Nov 5, 2010

I got mine this year and I will always get one.

It is not recommended that one gets their shot when they are sick, even if it's just the sniffles because the shot "kills" your immune system so to speak, temporarily. You CAN get it but, be prepared to have your cold or sickness prolonged.

The site of my shot was tender for a few days but if you keep moving your arm in circles every so often, it will go away.

4. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Nov 5, 2010

got my shot about a month ago..no side affects..my school district paid for it and it was done at school, so no inconvenience for me..

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2010

I also got mine about a month ago. I had no side effects.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 5, 2010

i would love to get the flu shot, but they aren't offering it for free at school for teachers this year, so i have to find somewhere to get it.

i don't know how much it really helped because last year I got it around October, then I had a really bad strep throat a few months later. I don't know if they were related or not

I love my little ones, but they're extrememly germy so i want to do everything i can to stay healthy and not have to miss work(at least not until after Spring Break when I start to take off mental health days because of burn out :rolleyes:)

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 5, 2010

I got one. No problems except a sore arm for 2 days.

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 5, 2010

I wish I could do the flu shot. I haven't had the flu since high school, but prefer to stay safe and would like to set the example for my kids. Unfortunately, I've had a bad reaction the 3 times I did it and swore I'd never do it again.

This said, I was the first one on the list for the blood drive schedule of people and our school had more volunteers than they could handle. They're coming back in 4 months for the overflow as well as those who want to donate again and I'm first on the list for that too. :)

As for vaccinations, you should try getting ready to go to the middle east. During training, they'd line us up every morning. We'd step in between 2 nurses who'd give us shots in both arms. After the 3rd day, we felt like dog poo. I hope they didn't expect us to remember much.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 5, 2010

I'm firmly in the "not" category. I simply do not trust in TPTB (the-powers-that-be) in pretty much any regard. I won't bore you anyone with my theories/reasoning... I just think it quite a leap to let "them" have virtual control over what is now in your body.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2010

I presume you also don't drink from the water supply or eat any food that has been handled by anyone other than you? Or breathe recirculated air on airplanes or in large buildings?

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 6, 2010

I have to get a flu shot this season due to pregnancy!

I have never had the "flu" I don't think, but the shot will be a good preventative measure! :)

Going to the CVS today to get it done.

12. diana

diana Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

I've never gotten a flu shot and likely won't start anytime soon. I'm not for or against flu shots, though. (To each, their own.) I just figure if I made it through two pregnancies while teaching in a classroom and didn't catch the flu, then why bother getting the shot now? The thing that I try to focus most on is nutrition; every darn time I get lazy and don't eat right during the winter, that's when I catch a cold.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 6, 2010

I do drink filtered water, I do eat "regular" food, and I do breathe recirculated air... though I am aware of the issues regarding those things.

I'm not sure if you're trying to attack me for my position (of not wanting to gett inoculated) or what, but that's my position.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

Not attacking anyone. Simply asking. It seems like if you're going to take a stand against one product that could potentially be manipulated by the government (or whoever), then you'd take a similar stand against others. I guess that's not true.

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 6, 2010

When I was in 5th grade and my sister was in 2nd she had the chickenpox. I stood next to her, hung out with her after I got home from school, etc. I never got them. For the next two years, I was also around my cousins who had the chicken pox… I never got them. In the middle of 7th grade my mom decided that I should get the chicken pox shot…. I got the chicken pox a few days later:mad:

I never had a flu shot. I've contemplated getting one recently though. But with the luck I have… I'll end up with the flu.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

My understanding is that you can't get the flu from a flu shot.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

I checked online: Nope, you can't get the flu from a flu shot.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

"The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. "

18. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 6, 2010

I get a flu shot every year.

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 7, 2010

I have the past two years!

20. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Nov 7, 2010

After having H1N1 and mono at the same time last year, I am definitely getting a flu shot this year! That was miserable.......

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 8, 2010

Aside from the teeniest of bruises, I'm completely healed. It took weeks for the swelling from my tetanus / whooping shot to go down, so this has me relieved.