Got my first job! Now what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathemagicteacher, Jun 20, 2019.

1. mathemagicteacher

mathemagicteacher New Member

Jun 20, 2019

I have just been hired by the district I did my student teaching in. I got an offer from the principal of the school and then went to the Superintendents office to sign my contract and complete paperwork, mostly for payroll. They gave me the dates for orientation in August. I’m very excited!! But now what?? I know I will be teaching seventh and eighth grade math but I know nothing else. When or how do I find out what levels (they have CP, honors, pre-AP, etc.) and the school’s curriculum schedule (I know they have a general plan or schedule to follow describing what order to teach the units)? How do I know if I will have my own classsroom? If I should be reaching out to someone to get this information who would it be: the principal, the math coach, or the math director? Or are these things I will just have to find out at orientation? Sorry for so many questions I just don’t know what I should do! I am excited but anxious!

Master Pre-K and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 20, 2019

First off... CONGRATULATIONS!! Landing your first ever job is a big deal so take some time to celebrate the beginnings of your career... After you've done the dance of joy a few times, knocked down some beers, ran around your neighborhood screaming like crazy, definitely dive into the forums here.... There is a specific forum here titled "New Teachers." You may want to throw all your questions in there..... I remember being hired and getting all excited! It's a game changer.... Worst case, write down all your questions on something that you can refer back to as they get answered... Once again, congratuilations!!!!

Master Pre-K likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2019

Make a list of your questions and prioritize them. Then send the top 2 or 3 to whoever your point of contact has been. Don’t send more right away, as you don’t want to come off as annoying. Sending a limited list will show that you are eager without being annoying. After you get the answers to your top questions, they may automatically fill you in on others. If not, just be patient and wait until orientation. Many time, they are still figuring some of this stuff out over the summer.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2019

I know that we do our curriculum work for the following year at the end of the previous year, so our work is already done. The principal would put you in contact with someone who could give you access to the online documents. Our principal would also be able to answer questions about the classroom.

Seems like the principal would be the first contact.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2019

Congratulations! Try to think about organizational systems you want to use in your classroom. That was most helpful for me to plan out before my first year. I am changing a lot for next year though! For example, you might want a system for absent students (I have files hanging from the wall for extra copies) and a turn in station with stackable trays for kids to turn in late work (otherwise, they’ll just hand it to you.) You night also want to think about where you’ll put graded work, etc. You may want to figure out what your “pencil policy” is. If a kid needs a pencil, do they ask you? Are you going to take collateral, etc.? Teachers do different things at my school for this. I recommend taking collateral or you will never get it back. :)

I would plan out the 1st week of instruction and think about what you want to do on the first day but not much more. Familiarize yourself with the common core standards. I would ask for a pacing guide if available. You can also buy yourself a teacher planner if that’s what you want to use!

If you do have a classroom: I teach math and I like decorating my classroom with the standards for math practice posters. They’re colorful so I print in color and laminate. PM me if you want me to find them and send them to you. I also have a number line on top of my board...that’s really important for middle school math. I got mine for free but you can probably find one to print and laminate on colored cardstock. For bulletin boards, I just hung up student work or I did anchor charts for stuff we were learning.

For middle school math, I like using open up resources and match fishtank. Both are free! Next year, I’ll be using a schoology for assessments.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 21, 2019

Search the district website to see if you can find the pacing or curriculum guide they use. Familiarize yourself with the seventh and eighth grade math standards in general—even if you don’t end up teaching one grade, it will be very helpful to understand what they should know coming in and where they are going after they leave you. I would be willing to bet that as a first year teacher, you won’t have many Pre-AP classes.

Email the principal and ask if they know exactly which courses you are responsible for teaching yet, and if not, when you might get that information. Then ask for the contact information of someone else in the math department (chair, teammate, whatever). Call the contact person and ask if you can get together to do lunch and get to know each other. Often those types of meetings can lead into you asking more specific questions.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

LOL. Is that the Perfect Strangers dance of joy LOL?!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2019

Congratulations! Now sit back take a break and enjoy your last summer of peace and quiet. I know you have a zillion questions and other posters have mentioned you might want to write some of them down. But trust me they won’t leave you out there hanging. It’ll be August before you know it and you’ll get some wonderful emails telling you everything you need to know. When you go to orientation sit next to the first smiling face you see that’ll be your new BFF, and find another one who’s been there a while. If your school doesn’t assign you a mentor, find your own.

In the meantime when you’re feeling adventurous, take your newly minted offer letter and go to OfficeMax Office Depot, Lakeshore, Staples, Barnes and Noble, Joannes Fabric, and Michael’s and get your teacher discount card. And from this point forward, everywhere you go ask them if they give you a discount for being a teacher. Once you get your ID you will flash it very frequently. I’m happy for you.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    otterpop likes this.
  10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 29, 2019

CONGRATULATIONS!!! The first thing I'd want to know is what I'd be teaching in the fall. Is there someone you can ask? Another teacher on your team or the admin? Then see if you can get ahold of the curriculum so you can look it over at your leisure during the summer while stress is low. When August hits you are going to feel like you have been hit with a tidal wave of information so it will be comforting if you already know what you will be teaching. If you don't know that start thinking about how you will organize your classroom and yourself (lesson plans, what kinds of furniture where, papers to grade, etc.) and what your classroom management will look like.