Got my class list...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by applejax544, Aug 10, 2008.

1. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Hi folks,
    I got my class list the other day. I have quite a mixture of students (from what I know about them) and several that have a reputation of being quite a handful.

I normally don't buy into a reward system. I just find that it's very time consuming and extra work for me, and I have trouble staying on top of things.

Since I know I'm going to have my hands full with a few of them, I'd like to try something in the beginning of the year. For the first month last year, I did "Gotcha" tickets...when I caught them doing something exceptionally well (quiet in line, neat work, etc). They put their name on the tickets, and at the end of the week, I pulled 10 tickets to choose a prize - something from my treasure bin, a homework pass, 15 minutes of computer time, etc. I liked it...but it lost it's appeal (mainly my appeal!) after the first month or so...even though the kids LOVED it.

I like the idea of "money" - paying a fine for no homework, tilting in chair, etc. and rewarding for other things. I guess what I am curious about is what you do with those "handful" kids - the ones that really take awhile to settle in - if ever. My class last year was awesome, and the class the year before NEEDED to have some sort of system in place...I was just too new to realize it. I also plan on using a consequence system of first a warning, second - name on the board (miss part of recess), third a check (a call home). It worked with several students during my first year of teaching.

I would appreciate any thoughts you have!!!

Jackie

3. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

This year I am going to implement a money system, and use the Decision Dollars in place of tickets. So when I see a student doing some positive, I will give them Decision Dollars. Like you have mentioned, Decision Dollars can be taken away for negative behavior like calling out or not completing their homework. What I plan to do is hold a market at the end of each marking period that allows the students to "buy" prizes such as free homework passes, lunch with the teacher, lunch with the principal, pencils, erasers, art supplies, etc.

I also use an Interruption Chart. When a student misbehaves they receive a check mark on their chart. Each check mark equals 2 minutes of owed time. So if a student has 5 check marks, they owe me 10 minutes of their time. I have students owe their time during lunch or recess, which they hate! I have found this system to work well along with a positive reinforcement system.

Lastly, I use a marble jar for whole class behavior. When the marble jar is full the students earn a party based on their votes. Students really like working towards something fun.

4. ridiculosity

ridiculosity New Member

Aug 10, 2008

Applejax,

You and I are in similar situations...I had a great class last year, not so the previous year and, from the looks of it, not so this year.

I've been struggling with the same things as you. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1.) Warning/name on the board system (as you mentioned)
    2.) Providing whole class free time at the end of the day (10 minutes) for those kiddos who never got their names on the board (the others hate having to sit at their desk or out in the hallway while everyone else is doing something fun). Free time is limited to educational games (multiplication war, using pattern blocks with friends to design pictures, computer time playing educational computer games, Go to the Head of the Class, etc.)

I guess the thing I am personally trying to avoid is RECORD KEEPING, which is why I'm reluctant to use the $$ and ticket systems. I've used the "flip a card" system and handing out cards with warnings system, but they were not effective and/or time consuming. I'm teaching 5th this year and I feel like it needs to be simple.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

We were told in training the other day that it is a FERPA violation to put kids names on the board w/ checks. Perhaps you could do a number system instead?

6. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

In our area we use a Social Curruculum called Responsive Classroom. This focuses on teaching expectations and logical consequences, rather than a reward system. If you are interested check out the book The First Six Weeks of School. It's a very user friendly book, even if you don't implement the whole RC curriculum.

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

I won't get mine until the week or so before school starts and that's not until next week. I still don't know how many yet either.

8. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Humility can be good for the soul, if you ask me. This is just another way of taking authority away from the teachers. I can understand if it's being abused by a teacher but come on, how damaging is it really to see a name on the board? Maybe if rules or guidelines were followed, then it would never be an issue...but I'm sure this "FERPA" doesn't see it that way. :unsure: