Got my class list today

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mrsammieb, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

I find it interesting how the class is broken up. I always wonder how my principal decided who goes where and in what session to put them in (am vs pm). I have 2 students in the same class who have the same birthday... Oct. 12... ONE YEAR APART! In CT you can put them in at 4 as long as they turn 5 by Dec. 31st. But of course you don't have to so you can hold them out and put them in the following year as well. So I have 2 kids who are literally 1 year apart.

Is it just me or is that crazy? There should be a nationwide standard on something like that?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

I think you'll have that no matter what...Our cutoff is September 1st. I have a student who turns 5 on August 19th, and another who will be 6 on September 18th. I agree that it is crazy...Not even for academic purposes, but just for maturity level.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

my own daughter's birthday is Aug 23rd and our cutoff is Sept. 1 She is ALWAYS the youngest. She is so smart, but her age shows through - she acts younger than the rest of her classmates.............BECAUSE SHE IS!The problem is by 5th grade the older girls are talking a little more "adult" than what she is ready for....

I get kids that turn 5 near the end of August and it is usually easy to tell.

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I think it is crazy that there is not a national cut-off date! Every state is different! In Iowa, the cut off is September 15th. I couldn't imagine the cut off being December 31st. That's potentially a lot of four year olds in the classroom! YIKES!! Oh the maturity issues!!

Obviously, there will always be those kids that just make the deadline and those that just miss it. It would just be nice if it was consistent...and close to the beginning of the school year!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

We are lucky. We have a developmental K program. So if the child is young in age and developmental younger they go into that program. So basically babies from July to Oct 15th (cutoff).

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 6, 2010

Sorry I didn't mean to call them babies.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

I had an extremely difficult class one year and didn't notice until mid-year, making a list of birthdays or something-over 1/2 the class didn't turn 6 until July/August-they were such a young class! That explained a lot for me!

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I always look at birthday - one of the first things I do. I prepare in case I notice things. If I don't then great, but I am more understanding if I have an extra young un.

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

One year a mother came to enroll her 5 year old daughter for first grade. Our cut off date for kindergarten is September 1st so the secretary questioned the mom about her age and explained that five year olds are in K not 1st. It turns out that she went to kindergarten the year before in Conneticut (I am in PA) where the cut off was December 31st. She already had completed kindergarten, but if she entered our first grade program she would have been super, super young. Because she had already successfully completed K the parent could have legally enrolled her in 1st. When the mom found out, however, how young she would have been she made her do kindergarten again at my school. The little girl had a bit of an attitude with me the first few weeks because she knew she should have been in 1st, but she eventually was fine and was the top student in my class. He mother told me years later that she was so glad she didn't put her in first grade. She probably could have handled the academics in first because she was a bright girl, but she would have been almost year and a half younger that the youngest first grader.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

Our cutoff is now 9/1, but when I started, it was 12/31...and I teach PreK, so I had a lot of THREE year olds! YIKES! On school buses and everything.

I had one year where all of my summer birthdays got lumped into my PM class, when they really should have probably still been napping. My AM class had - out of 20 kids - 14 that turned 5 by Christmas vacation, and my PM class had 17 that would not be 5 until the following summer. Talk about a difference...but I actually enjoyed grouping them like that. I could do a lot more that was right on target developmentally with each group.

And then in my own personal experience - I have a September baby who is ALWAYs the oldest in her class and an August baby, always the youngest. They both do well, both academically and socially. But, then again, they are also girls.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

My son is an August baby (cut off is Sept.1), and he is very smart, but very young! He would have definitely benefited from starting K the next year as far as maturity goes (not to mention his daddy wanted him to start as late as possible so he would excel even more in sports in high school :| ) but he is the tallest one in class and very smart.
    I am very nervous as school starts (2nd grade) this month and it takes him a couple months to adjust. I am hoping he magically reached the age where he is mature. hahahaha :lol:

13. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I am the mom of the "older" kid in the class. My son could be starting 2nd grade this fall, but when he was old enough to start kindergarten, we didn't feel his social skills were at a place that he would be successful. Therefore he did an extra year of pre-kindergarten through our daycare. He thrived in Kindergarten last year. He turned 7 this summer and will be starting 1st grade. I'm not sad in the least that he's the oldest. As a middle school teacher, I can tell those that are "young" especially when it comes to boys! It really is a hard parental decision. I can't fathom the impact on Kindergarten classes! What a difference one year can make!

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

I am glad that both my girls are Jan and Feb babies so I never had to worry with a choice! But I think if I did I would have held them out as well. I don't know why parents are in a rush to make their children grow up?

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

Sometimes money is a factor. Some people would rather put them in school, rather than pay thousands in daycare...

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

Our cut-off date is December 31st and we have a combined JK/SK program, so we have quite a range.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

Do boys ever reach that age? I know some 30 year olds who aren't there yet! ;)

No really, Lynn, I'm sure he'll be fine!

18. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Aug 8, 2010

I am personally debating this right now (for next year). My DD has a birthday this week actually, so she would turn 5 right before the school year started. She will have had 2 years of preschool and can almost read at this point. I know I won't even be close to making this decision until next year depending on her maturity level.

Am I in a rush to have my child grow up, not really. Do I think she will be ready for it, probably. Do I really care about paying money for a daycare/preschool program, No because I feel the program my children are in is great, and I am actually contemplating Private Kinder there anyways.

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 8, 2010

I teach a K4 - K5 program...I have done so for 3 years and am quite pleased with the dynamics of my classroom. I have to do some things differently than a typical K classroom, but I feel it works quite well. I think it really does depend on the maturity levels as well as the flexibiity of the classroom.

20. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I am also in CT & had the same thing happen last year on Oct. 6. One year I had half the class with fall birthdays so half started at 4 yrs. old.
    When parents ask for advice I usually suggest,"When in doubt, hold them out." I have met many parents that regretted not waiting a year but have not met any that regretted waiting that year. We call it giving them the gift of time to grow & mature.

21. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Two years ago, I had a girl whose birthday was on the cutoff date, September 30th. Her fine motor skills were very poor, but she was very bright, so she made out okay in the end.

Last year, I had one who turned 6 in September and 2 in October, all girls and so mature. On the other end I had two May, and one each in June, July, and August. The June and July were extremely immature. The June I recommended to be held back, but the August was very bright, just pouty when he could not get his way.

I don't have my class roster yet. Hopefully I will have it next week!

22. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Some students are ready sooner- and some are not - despite their chronological age. Hopefully the parents know their kids and are making choices that are motivated by the child's best interest.