Got into my classroom today

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Aug 9, 2007.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

Well I got to see my classroom today. It is not the one I thought I was going to have, it is a bit smaller, but that part does not bother me. What bugs me is every cabinet, drawer, closet, bookshelf, top the the radiator, and well every other surface is STILL covered in the past teachers stuff. She still has posters on the wall and student work on the bulliton board from last year! I was going to go work on my room next week, but I cannot now, there is no place to put my stuff. I feel like I am invading her space. Mind you there is tons of stuff in the main hall of hers too, so I am not sure how she got it all in there!

On top of that it looks like a lot of what is in there, may be staying. I don't want to have to deal with a load of crap from 5 teachers before, but I have language arts books in there! OLD stuff, old handouts, etc. GRRRRRRR.

Oh and my school supply order? Not there but another teachers is, one from the room next to mine. Where is mine? No one knows.

There has been curriculum planning that went on over the summer, and my pelimanary plans my now be worthless. So I don't even know how to go ahead with planning.

I was stressed before, but now I want to give up. This will be my first year as a teacher starting at the start of the year, I don't know how to get all this done, and if what I have done isn't going to fly, well I just wanna go to sleep for three months. :(

Oh, and I had to have a mammogram today.....not fun!

The secretary suggested that I call the other teacher to arrange for the rest of the stuff to be moved, and so we don't both decide to work in there at the same time. I cannot even get her phone number until Monday or later, so when I do get it, what do I say? Get your junk out of my way.....just doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Thanks for letting me vent

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I'm so sorry with all that is going on for you! I find that so weird and disrespectful that the old teacher's stuff is still there. Every year at my old school (I just got a new job for this coming year) every single teacher had to take down everything in their room even if we were not moving classrooms. I would try to get in contact with the past teacher and ask her to come move her stuff and if she won't or if you don't get in contact with her I would do it myself and throw the things away.
    Good luck!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

The crazy thing is, that teacher is only moving downstairs! One floor!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2007

Why don't you call the previous teacher and kindly "offer" to pack her stuff for her? That way, you are still being nice, and she (should) get the point.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

They do not have her current phone number, the secretary that has it was out doing training until next week. As for packing her stuff, I just cannot tell what is hers and what isn't. The textbooks are a class set so they stay, but all the language arts books? I don't know where those go!

I am very frustrated. I am sure it will work out, but now my plan for next week is shot.......

7. txtchr

txtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I understand!! My room doesn't sound like it was as bad as yours but it still had a bunch of crap in it!! That is so very annoying!! When I left my old classroom, I cleaned it out so good! I always seem to get rooms of pack rats!! :) But, I'm just grateful to have a job! :) I think I might just have to keep the things I needed and throw away the rest. They must not have wanted it very bad!

8. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

That happened to me!!! I am a new teacher and I inherited a lot a lot of stuff from two teachers. One from the room next door so I had to empty out that closet and take it to my room and then stuff from the teacher from my old room. I have had a heck of a time organizing everything and sorting through old material that I really don't need. I am super grateful for everything they gave me though...I won't be starting from scratch. The teacher that was in my old room though came by on tuesday and starting moving out her own stuff and I offered her to help so that went down smooth. She cleared everything out by today and the janitors were great enough to take everything out that I was not going to need. And trust me that was one BIG pile. I am not even half way done but we can do it I am sure.

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 9, 2007

I'm sorry it has started off this way. That is really rude of the old teacher to leave her stuff around. I wish I were the kind of person who could just start using it and act all surprised when she came back to get it. But although I would think that would be what she should get, I would never be able to pull it off.
    Are there any things that you definitely know are hers? Can you take down the bulletin boards and at least start there? Maybe move everything over to a corner and at least get yourself an area to start in.
    Good Luck!!

10. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

When I moved in there wasn't anything from the teacher before me, but lots of really old stuff from teachers before . . . stored "just in case" I guess. I finally got enough nerve this year to chuck it. I guess if I've never had to touch it in the past two years, I won't need it!

When does school start for you? Will you have enough time to do up your room??

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

School starts on Sept 4th, so technically I have time to set up my room. However, I have a lot of appointments with my kids, which will restrict my time. Next week was the best week for me to get the bulk of it done.

I cannot tell what is hers and what isn't, what I know is hers is already piled up. But in the book cases, well I just don't know what all that stuff is. I have already talked to my principal about it, and let him know I cannot move in till she is done, but my biggest concern is my budget order is missing. If they cannot find it, well I have no paper for copies next year.

I will call the other teacher next week and see if we can arrange at time for her to finish so I can get my stuff in there. I worry more about me showing up on a day that she is packing up and making it impossible to get it done.

Time to go back to my movie......I'll think of depressing stuff later

12. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I hope you can get settled soon! When I moved into my room a few years ago, it had stuff in the cabinets from YEARS ago. When I finally got around to doing a deep cleaning I found stuff from 5 teachers back - from the 80's. I found old movie slides and things from how teachers used to have to make copies before copy machines (forgot the name). The teachers before me had never cleaned!

13. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I had the same experience last year! And unfortunately, the teacher who retired was my mentor. There was stuff in there from the two teachers before me (each taught for 1 year) and then my mentor before them who taught for 20 years! Massive amounts of old books, workbooks, worksheets, etc. I also had tons of mimeographed worksheets. 5 file cabinets completely full! I ended up just throwing it all out without looking at it. There was too much and I didn't have the time. It took me a whole day to clear it all out during winter break. By the way, this doesn't include all the junk that was in the special ed storage room, which was so full I couldn't even put anything else in there.