Got hired as a lead toddler teacher, not sure where to start?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by shoreline02, Sep 14, 2010.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 14, 2010

They would like me to re-do the room, and the curriculum. I have no idea where to begin. Any great ideas and/or resources would be extremely helpful. :D

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 14, 2010

Congrats on the job! What do you mean by redo the room?

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 14, 2010

Rearrange the room and what is on the walls.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Sep 14, 2010

I would suggest maybe looking at other classrooms in the daycare if possible. I worked in a two and threes classroom last year. The areas we had were reading, art, housekeeping, sensory table, blocks, and puzzles/math/science. I would suggest putting art and sensory by a sink if possible and then the blocks and house together across the room from books to keep it quiet. The curriculum im not sure on what they used. They did different themes and they tried to incorporate things into their play that had to do with the theme. The teacher sometimes did things that went way over their head though. Whatever you do just make sure it is age appropariate.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2010

Wow. That would have been a question a hiring committee would have asked. Let's imagine that they asked that question...what would you have answered?

7. Alyson1130

Alyson1130 Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

In my toddler room, we had a reading area (a small staggerd book shelf with lots of board books, lift the flap books, and touch and feel books) complete with a comfy carpet and two kid sized chairs and pillows. We had a blocks (the red "foam" ones that look like bricks) and mega-blocks/large legos area. We had a manipulatives area (one of those shelves with all the different bins in it) filled with pegs and peg boards, different plastic pieces you could put together, cars, etc etc with a carpet under that. We had a dramatic play area with baby dolls, a small plastic carseat, baby doll sized blankets, a toddler sized kitchen set complete with fake food and pots and pans and plastic silverware. In the middle of the room (those were all around the walls) were our "large motor" type things...a rocking horse, a jumping zebra they could sit and jump on, the pushing popping caterpillars, etc. We had a biter who bit for no reason, so we had to keep everything completely open so that he couldn't hide and bite anyone without us being able to catch him before he did it.

We also had another toddler room next door (all of our children were between 15 months and 21 months) where we had our "bigger" large motor toys like climbers, tunnels, an inflatable moon bounce/ball pit, etc. They LOVED the moon bounce/ball pit by the way :)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

I suggest you look into Creative Curriculum. It is one that can be used by all ages.

Also, take a look at http://www.hsnrc.org/CDI/pdfs/UGCOF.pdf
    These are Head Start indicators and are a great guideline for PS.