Got called for an interview - this thursday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Jul 14, 2014.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

I'm back from the interview. I don't know how well I did. I was nervous because my father still hasn't had his surgery and his surgeon wasn't responding to any phone calls last night and isn't going to even see my dad until this afternoon (he's had symptoms of appendicitis since Monday morning/afternoon).

Lasted about 10 minutes, they asked me a few questions.
    1. Tell us about yourself. I told them I graduated from x University in May, finished student teaching in a Kindergarten in December, and I graduated with a 3.6 GPA.

2. Where did you student teach? I answered that and told them I was in two classrooms, one inclusion and one general education classroom.

3. What was reading and math instruction like there? I told them that I didn't remember the exact name of the LAL program, but I told them the general structure of it and I mentioned that they used Everyday Math.

4. In your application, you mentioned you collaborated with your cooperating teachers. How did you plan lessons during your student teaching? I discussed how I would plan lessons for math in the morning class.

5. They asked me a few little questions about how they ran their Kindergarten program at the school I student taught at. I answered them.

6. Is this your first interview? You seem a little nervous. I told them it was my second interview, I had an interview in another district shortly before graduation, but I was a *little* nervous.

7. Any questions?

I asked the one about technology in the classroom and they answered both of my technology questions - they said they were very glad I asked that question. So they answered two questions with one answer, then they asked if I had any other questions and I told them I couldn't think of any. They said "Okay. You're probably going to start thinking of questions right after the interview and wonder why you didn't ask them. That happens to the best of us. So this was an initial interview. We'll be sending emails to those who get picked for the next stage of interviewing. Good luck and nice meeting you!"

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2014

Well, at least it's over. Hope you get to the second phase. If not, chalk it up to a good experience.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

I hope I wasn't too nervous during the interview. I forgot to bring up my disabilities.

4. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 17, 2014

You did great considering your Dad was on your mind! I have found that each interview I get less nervous and more confident in my answers. Sending positive thoughts your way!

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

Are you sure it was only 10 minutes? I've never in my life had an interview that short--not even when I applied at Burger King!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

Got in at either 9:15 or 9:20. Was in the taxi at like 9:32

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2014

I had an interview in college that was that short. It was for a job at the library. It lasted all of five minutes and I got the job.

My current job I drove two and a half hours for a 40 minute interview. I was called a week later and offered the job.

8. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

I'm guessing you had some very short answers to those questions, then.

That might not be a bad thing, depending on the committee. I know I've been on panels before where the candidate that was most direct and concise actually stood out from the rest in a positive way.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

Thinking about your dad, bros.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

No, the person who went in before me was in for about 10 minutes also. They also said they were running behind today.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 17, 2014

Were these screening interviews?

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

They said it was an initial interview.

But they only held interviews yesterday and today.

13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

If they were only interviewing for the initial interview for two days, then they probably will have a decision on who will go to the next round possibly by Friday or even Monday. It sounds like if you don't hear anything, then they chose not to have you move on.

I hope that you are practicing interviews with someone, preferably with someone who has gone on a teaching interview or been part of an interview team. Doing that will hep with your nerves and anxiety.

I can tell you that just about everyone who interviews does have some shaky nerves. It is important to try to be confident in what you are saying so your nerves are under control.

Good luck!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

How do you know the prior interview was 10 minutes?
    I doubt they were running late due to a series of ten minute interviews.:sorry:

A 10-15 minute interview for a student job in a college library is a bit less weighty, don't you think, than a tenure track, full tine teaching position with benefits where the candidate is responsible for the learning of young students....

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

I was just so nervous today. I think I was... heavily gesticulating during the interview, which is something I do when nervous. After I got home, I was pretty much 100% drained and unable to cope with any of the anxiety I had, so today has been a fun day.

I tried to be confident, but my mind was in so many places. One of the things that sticks in my mind about the interview was that the table they interviewed me at was so oddly shaped that I could only see one person at a time due to my pretty much being able to only see out of my right eye.

My dad finally got his appendix out at around 6 PM - the surgeon didn't visit him until around 3 PM (he was supposed to visit at noon) and now his hernia operation is going to be delayed until he is recovered - so probably a few months.

I arrived at 8:30 for a 9:10 interview. Someone walked in at 8:40, got taken in shortly afterwards, they left at 8:50. Another person walked in around 8:45, they got called in at around 9:00. They left around 9:10. I got called in around 9:15-9:20. I was out by 9:30. Secretary told the person who went in before me that they were running late with interviews today due to a bus issue (summer school), as the interviews were supposed to start at 8.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

I agree. I was merely responding to the post about never having a 10 minute interview, even for Burger King, to say that they do happen.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2014

:thumb: agreed! Seems to me school districts who are conducting ten minute interviews on the second day of seeing candidates may be just going through the motions. If ten minutes is all a candidate has though, one would have to present a compelling and dynamic interview.:2cents:

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

If this is what a 10 minute interview does to you, what types of preparations can you make to teach full time without experiencing this?

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 18, 2014

My mom's classmate's daughter had an interview with them the first day (My mom has to take some classes for work, but can't drive, so this woman has to drive her two hours round trip every week). Hers also lasted about 10 minutes.

That only happened to me because of everything going on right now. My father in the hospital, not being able to even talk to my therapist, the anxiety over the interview and the days of anxiety over my father.

Typically, my anxiety does not overwhelm me like that. In the past, I have been unable to see my therapist for up to three weeks at a time, with little adverse effect - except I am a bit high strung.

20. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

I have definitely heard of places that have very short first round interviews, in the 10 - 15 minute range. This allows for a broader range of candidates to be brought in. This sort of protocol is often a three step process, very short first round with many candidates, then a long (45 - 60 minute) second round with maybe 20% of the first round people, followed by a third round of very top candidates . The places I know of that have done this are have a number of openings, and they are looking to find a number of different positions, with possibly different strengths.

Sounds like it went pretty well, bros. Good luck to you, and glad your father's appendix is out!

21. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 18, 2014

They were looking to fill 3-5 positions at the three elementary schools the principals represented

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

It's been over a week and a half..any word?

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 29, 2014

Nope. Checked the meeting minutes of the district. Appears that they hired relatives of people on the board & relatives of people who retired from the positions to fill them.

Going to call my local district tomorrow about subbing. Didn't want to today (I haven't gone to sleep yet so I still think it is Monday, the 28th) because it is/was my birthday.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2014

Happy belated birthday!

25. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 30, 2014

Called the district about subbing.

They said that they have been really backlogged, but I am on a list of people who are to be scheduled for an interview.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

Happy Belated Birthday :)

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

Happy birthday, bros.

Hard to imagine EVERY job was filled by relatives. Does ths district not have nepotism rules?

28. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 30, 2014

They filled like five jobs at the board meeting - only the two I was eligible for were filled by relatives.

Also, this district was in the news a little while ago for having quite a few suits filed against them for bullying and other reasons, so they might want to try to have as many people who know the district teaching in it as possible.

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 13, 2014

Any news on the subbing situation?

30. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

Nope. Called last week. They said they are really behind on interviews and that they don't know when they'll conduct interviews again, but I am at the top of the list, so I will be interviewed first thing. The person I talked to emailed me a thing so I can get background checked now as opposed to after the interview.

31. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 5, 2014

nevermind