Got called for an interview - this thursday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Jul 14, 2014.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

It's for an elementary basic skills position at a K-3 school near to my house. I've reviewed the district's website and I am somewhat familiar with the district. Not as familiar as I am with my home district. I think when they ask if I have any questions, I will ask them about technology in the classroom.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

Congrats on the interview, bros.

Is there anything else you can do between now and Thursday to make yourself more familiar with the district? I would also think about how you can follow up your question about technology in the classroom based on how it is answered. For example, if they respond that there is currently little technology in the classrooms, but they are looking to upgrade, how would you respond?

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

Good luck!

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

Bros, you need to ask more questions other than about technology. Have at least 3-5 really good questions to ask. Honestly I'd make a list of 10 questions to ask because during the interview itself the hiring committee might answer the questions you were going to ask. Why not make your list and post it here so we can give you some feedback.

And of course good luck!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

You might want to make yourself familiar with the position. Is it a self contained SPED? A resource position? A regular classroom with low children? That might give you some ideas for questions?

What do you plan on revealing about your disabilities? This might give you something to highlight your strengths.

Good luck...keep us posted.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

I've read over their 2013-2016 technology plan as a primer, it seems they have a decent stock of technology in their school (as of the report submitted in 2013) - 37 projectors, 43 teachers - at least one of which is the PE teacher, and at least two of them are teachers who share classrooms, so it sounds like there is one projector per teacher.

I have a folder ready with copies of my resume, transcript, and some other stuff. I'll check what is in the folder after dinner.

Hm. What are some good questions I could ask other than technology? I know it is a K-3 school and I know that the PARCC starts in third grade, but I am not that familiar with the PARCC, so I should look up information on that somewhere.

The job posting states it is for Elementary Basic Skills. According to their site, the district implements Basic Skills Instruction in the regular classroom setting.

With my disabilities, I stated the following under list any accommodations in the application:
    "I require access to technology, or at the least, access to power outlets so I can provide my own technology, such as a projector, as I have a disability which affects my ability to write by hand."

So I will definitely use the dysgraphia as a point of strength.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

What about student access to technology--laptops, net books, iPads, etc? You could question that while explaining how you would make use of them for your students. Other things to ask about: duties outside of the classroom, extra-curricular opportunities, collaboration opportunities/expectations.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

You can ask any question you want in terms of what the school or position entails that you don't know about. Things like what reading and math programs the use. Professional development and collaboration opportunities. I've asked admin to walk me through a day in the life of a teacher in the specific position. I've asked how available does the P make themselves to new teachers.

There really are endless types of questions honestly.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

So something like:
    1. What kind of technology is present in the classroom for teacher use in instruction?
    2. What kind of technology is available for student use in the classroom or during instruction?
    3. What is an average day of a basic skills teacher like here at [Elementary School]?

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

Good start, bros!

12. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 14, 2014

I like to ask about what support they offer for new teachers as well as what they are most proud of at their school/district. I usually lead or end with the proud question. Best of luck to you!

13. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I always asked about professional development opportunities, support from the administration, any special resources for first year teachers?

Good Luck!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

What pd is your staff engaging in to get ready for PAARC?

What is your mentor program?

What are some committees or extracurricular activities in which I could get involved?

15. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

I often asked administrators if they would send their children to this school. It is very telling. But it's a risky question!

16. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Yay! Crossing my fingers for you, bros.

17. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jul 15, 2014

Wishing you good luck and sending you positive energy! :)

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

Good luck!

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

Ooh, that's a good one! Risky, yes, but even the slightest bristling is very revealing!

20. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

Here are some questions I am thinking of asking:
    1. What kind of technology is present in the classroom for teacher use in instruction?
    2. What kind of technology is available for student use in the classroom or during instruction?
    3. What is an average day of a basic skills teacher like here at [Elementary School]?
    4. What kind of professional development is your staff receiving in preparation for PARCC?
    5. What is your mentor program for new teachers like?

Would it be alright if I printed out a list of these questions and brought them with me to the interview - or would that look bad? Or it could look good - would show that I think things through.

I assume I should bring samples of math/LAL lessons I have taught, as those are what their basic skills teachers focus on at that school (K-3). Maybe 2 from my student teaching (Kindergarten) and 1 from my fourth grade field experience (Probably a language arts lesson, as most of them were at the beginning of the school year, and the class was around a low third grade reading level according to that CT)?

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

Certainly bring your lessons...put in a folder or binder....most likely they won't look at them....bring a card with your questions as well if you feel you won't remember them...what matters more is your interview. What are you doing to prepare yourself to speak thoughtfully, confidently and passionately?

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2014

Your questions are good but add a few more just I case those are answered in the interview. Don't forget to ask what are the next steps of the hiring process. I see no problem having the questions on a piece of paper. I would say that I wrote them down so I wouldn't forget to ask because they were important to me. But try to memorize them if you can.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2014

I always write or type my questions and bring them in a folder. I write down their answers to the questions after I ask them. I sometimes have a lot of interviews and want to be able to remember details about each position.

24. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I rescheduled my therapy appointment for this week so I will be seeing my therapist on Wednesday.

I can't write down the answers, so that's a bit of a problem :p

4. What kind of professional development is your staff receiving in preparation for PARCC?
    5. What is your mentor program for new teachers like?
    6. What is the next step in the interview process?

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2014

Bros...some of those questions may be addressed naturally as part of the interview. If not, try and work some of your questions into the low of the interview if possible. Don't wait until the end of the interview and ask all 6 questions. If you don't have the opportunity to address all your questions, pick the one or two most important to ask at the end.

26. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

I always ask about what duties teachers are responsible for outside of the classroom. This tends to vary wildly from school to school. But you're in a union state, so there's probably less variation.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I'd pick a few of them to ask, 2-3 at most, not all six.

It's a union state.

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

But remember....it's supposed to be more extemporaneous, not scripted. Go with the flow.

29. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

Much of teaching in the grade levels you are interviewing involves writing in some form or another. Correcting papers, teaching penmanship, spelling, notes to children and parents, notes to other staff members, making bulletin boards, etc. The majority of these activities may be on the spot.

Since you have revealed that you can't write, how will you answers their interview questions about performing those duties? I'm thinking they may also be point blank and ask you how the disability will affect your teaching.

30. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Yes, I would make the questions seem extemporaneous and have the list as something to fall back on.

I might get something like a mobile printer or a label maker to help with things of that nature. Making bulletin boards would be difficult for me - i'm 5'6" and I can't really stand on something like a chair, my balance isn't good enough.

31. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

More interview practice questions...tell us the positive reasons we should hire you? Tell us the things about the job that will challenge you and how will you meet the challenge? (I have used those questions in interviews).

32. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Being disabled myself, I have a unique perspective from which to help all students receiving basic skills instruction - I know what it was like to be in their shoes.

What I think will challenge me most about the job is getting accustomed to the assuredly wonderful community that this district has.

33. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Bit frazzled. My father had to get admitted to the hospital tonight before I could see my therapist and now I can't see my therapist until the end of the month. Now my father's in the hospital awaiting surgery.

34. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that you continue to go to your interview. I know that your father knows that being a teacher is important to you.

35. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I have to take a taxi for the interview have to call them in the morning because the night dispatcher doesn't write down morning pickups.

My dad has to get an appendectomy and while they're in there, they are probably going to operate on his hernia he was going to have repaired next week.

36. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

The taxi is a simple example of how you've faced adversity in order to realize your dream to be a teacher. I know you have many more examples.

This is one of your strengths if they ask that question.

Good luck on the interview, and I hope your dad feels better quickly.

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

Best wishes to your dad, bros.

Good luck today!

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2014

What time is the interview, bros? We'll be thinking of you!

39. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

In about an hour. Nervous. Waiting for taxi. Told it to arrive around now because they tend to arrive within 15-20 minutes of when you actually tell them to arrive, so if I tell them 8:20, they'll arrive between 8:00 to 8:40.

40. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2014

Bros, I hope your dad's surgery goes well! Good luck on your interview as well.

41. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

Good luck today bros! And to your dad as well.