got another behaviour issue could use suggestions

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by debbie, Oct 14, 2004.

1. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

a girl in my class (age 6) completely keeps to herself. She does not seek out social interaction whatsoever. She does not want to be part of anything group oriented and is an avid reader. She rarely speaks and this is by choice. When asked to respond to anything or voice an idea she dissolves into tears. She will enter the group when it appears that their is no choice. Her mother is extremely supportive and I had a good talk with her and it turns out that this child went through a year of extreme bullying by not only peers but teacher as well. I understand her behaviour completely at this point. She is probably terrified to say anything for fear that she will be ridiculed. Has decided to be completely anonymous. Have tried to quietly befriend this child to no avail. any suggestions?

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2004

Continue with your gentle, caring ways. I have had a child like that and he began to respond to me after a little while. Try and find a nice friend to pal her up with...have them sit in a quiet spot with some really special books since that is what she likes to do. Give her positive guidance, smiles and gentle pats on the back, kind words.

4. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

thank you sounds good. the thing is it reminds me of me when i was her age so is hard to see and am realizing that possibly am not responding as I should because of personal response. congrats on your anniversary .